August 27, 2018

A Tasty Weekend...

Our Farmhouse Pickled Beets

Friday night found us at our grandson's football game, and it was a perfect night to cheer them on to a win. Saturday morning, Shelly and I went to the farmer's market, where I purchased freshly picked beets, carrots and green beans. I bought the carrots and green beans to serve with our dinners, but I had other plans for the beets.

After I dropped off Shelly, I drove home (just down the hill), pulled out my big pot, cleaned the beets and popped them in the water to cook. Once they were soft, I took them out of the hot water and placed them in ice water until they cooled. Then I peeled and cut them up, placed them into hot, sterilized jars and added the pickling brine. Into the water bath for the allotted time, and this was the result. Four pints of beautiful, tasty beets. (I'll be getting more next weekend to do more!) 

Newly Canned Vidalia Onion Relish

While I was putting up the beets, I had sliced Vidalia onions and salted them to bring out their juice. After I finished with the beets, I pressed the moisture out of the onions and then completed cooking them with the rest of the ingredients. Turmeric was added, per the recipe, to give them this lovely yellow color. Three pounds of onions yielded four pints of Sweet Vidalia Onion Relish...and nary a tear was shed!

Homemade Canned Salsa

Saturday ended with a colorful, tasty batch of homemade, canned salsa. I tried the Mrs. Wage's Salsa Mix last year, and it was a huge hit with our grandson (among others). Why mess with a good (simple) thing? I used the same salsa mix this year and put it up in pint and half pint jars.

Hickory Hill Hickory Nut Pie Filling/Ice Cream Topping

I only had one thing on my mind for Sunday. Hickory Nut Pie Filling, which can also be used as an ice cream topping or anywhere else you'd like to use a sweet, nutty mixture to accent a dessert. Think pound cake, tarts, sweet rolls and more!

The recipe I used is a great one from Mary Marshall's "Cooking with Mary and Friends" blog. It's meant to be a Pecan Pie Filling, but hickory nuts are in the same family, so there was no problem substituting them for the pecans. (HERE'S a link to the recipe.) I knew I was going to make this recipe, so I ordered the thickener that was recommended in the instructions. It arrived on Thursday, and was in the jars by yesterday. There is actually a cup of nuts in each jar, and it will take two pint jars to make a pie...if it lasts that long!

When I was finished cooking the mixture, I had seven and a half pints to can and put on the shelf. Handsome and I actually tried this on ice cream after dinner last night, and I can tell you, it's fantastic! This one tastes like autumn in a jar, and I know I'll be making more.

This week, I'm going to switch back to my studio. I have some orders to work on, and packages to mail. I'll be doing a little stitching, too. Tag will see you tomorrow, and I'll be back on Wednesday to show you what I worked on today.

Have a great week!

DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. WOW! You are canning some very interesting foods for your family and pantry. I love the beets and their vibrant color and the turmeric adds just a lovely glow that looks like Autumn. Hickory Hill pie filling that tops ice cream too?!! WOW! And...you make it all sound so easy to do. Bountiful Blessings. Dear...<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wish I lived closer,everything you’ve bottled I love.Well I say everything but I’ve never actually had hickory nuts...but they look yummy.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna