February 26, 2024

Bridal Shower...

The weekend got off to a rough start with my sister's daughters coming in from out of state to try to deal with her personal effects to clean out her home. Her husband is having an understandably difficult time, and going through my sister's things was difficult for everyone. My remaining two sisters and I did what we could to help, but there were a lot of tears amidst moments of happy memories and laughter. 

Our nieces went back home yesterday, and will return in a couple months to put together an estate sale, but many boxes went for donation, and some items of sentimental value were given to family members. 

Before the ladies left yesterday, I was able to meet up with them for a light lunch. Hugs were exchanged, and then we parted ways. My eldest niece was driving six hours to get home, while the other was heading to the airport to fly home. I got in my trusty Explorer and drove an hour north to the wedding shower for my great-nephew, Ethan's fiancee's wedding shower. I knew my two remaining sisters would both be there, so we were looking forward to celebrating for a couple hours.

The bride is in white, and she's surrounded by her sister, who is the Maid of Honor (in pink), her two other bridesmaids, and her daughter.

My niece (her future mother-in-law) threw a wonderful party. She's a great party planner, and there was tasty food, and a few fun quiz games to play for prizes. 

When the bride-to-be opened the gift from Handsome and me, she looked at me and smiled. She told me more than once that she loved her new brooch, and would absolutely wear it for their ceremony. I am delighted that she is happy with what I created for their wedding.


Before we all parted ways, I made sure there were photos taken of me with my two sisters, Di and Jan. We did the best we could to help our nieces over the weekend, then attend this celebration, but I know all three of us were tired by the end of yesterday. 

Jan will be working today and tomorrow; Di will spend a little time with her son's family before leaving to drive six hours north to go home. She lives near my eldest niece, so she has nearly the identical drive. I'm going to get some things done with Handsome today, but I'll be able to rest a bit, too. This weekend was a good time to spend with family, but under the circumstances, it was exhausting, so we'll recuperate as we're able. 

We all miss the sister who wasn't there, and it will always be this way for us. We were four and now we're three, but Lyn will always be in our hearts, and we'll do our best for her daughters, grandchildren, and husband.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun but bittersweet weekend.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family can be so amazing and wonderful... so thankful to have this very precious community with whom we can celebrate joyously, grieve deeply, and love wholeheartedly. I'm glad you could have this weekend with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying so. Shared history is a wonderful starting point. We told stories, laughed and cried, and then had a celebration. It was the best of all circumstances.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a weekend that covered all the emotions, overridden by the joy of time spent with close family. Very glad to hear the bride loved her brooch - how could she not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly right, MA. The bride contacted me again today to say she can't wait to wear it for their wedding. It was so sweet.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Very happy to hear that the beautiful bride loved the brooch.
    We don't realize that the roller coaster of emotions is so exhausting until we take a moment to
    breathe.
    Beautiful photos of all.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      That's so true. We all just kept going this weekend, and when I got home yesterday I sat down and fell asleep. I was done in. Today was needlework, so I got a chance to replenish my soul. It was just what I needed. Our next bride is beautiful inside and out, and she's perfect for our nephew. We're so happy for them.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna