February 15, 2024

Cookie Failure...

I know you probably think these look okay, but believe me I made a bad decision and paid for it. Handsome had errands to run yesterday morning, so I figured I make cutout cookies and surprise him when he got home. Close, but no cigar. 

I baked off two dozen delicious cutout cookies in no time. Then it was time to make the icing that I can always count on. The recipe calls for shortening, 8 cups of confectioner's sugar, vanilla, almond flavoring...and heavy cream, added between cupfuls of the sugar. You only add 3 T. of cream at a time, and you get a perfect consistency. It's a no-fail recipe...until yesterday.

I had heavy cream in the fridge, so I grabbed the bottle and added the first three tablespoons. The container smelled a bit sour, but I figured it was just the cream around the rim and cap of the bottle and cleaned it. I tasted the cream and it tasted fine to me. So onward I went. I could still smell the "sour", but figured it was just a residual aroma.

All the cookies were frosted when Handsome got home. He walked into the kitchen and said, "You made cookies!" He walked over to the platter and said, "Does something smell off to you?" I'd already cleaned up the kitchen, so I explained about the cream. We discussed at length and I said it might be the frosting, but every time I picked up a cookie and smelled it, it smelled fine to me.

I ate a cookie and said I didn't think they tasted bad or smelled bad, and then I pulled the leftover white icing out of the fridge and we inspected that. Long story short, I ended up in tears (having just spent a couple hours of baking and decorating), and tossed the lot into the trash. I didn't want to take any chances.

Handsome was very kind and said that I can't be perfect every time I cook or bake, and in all our years together, there have only been a handful of what I'd term disasters. I count this among them.

We made dinner together. We had prime rib, mashed potatoes and steamed peas. Then, I pulled out a (cheater) package of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookies and baked those for dessert. Not at all what I'd planned, but then...I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. (Sorry for the pun.) 

I tossed the heavy cream, too, by the way. I'll do better next time, for sure. I won't be baking today, electing to work on my heart brooches instead. I'm putting this little fiasco behind me, and will concentrate on something completely different for the day. It's snowing again today, so stitching is a perfect pastime. Don't tell anyone how badly I messed up those cookies, okay? It can be our little secret.

12 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry your cookies didn't turn out.
    They are pretty though!
    I remember 1 time I cracked an egg into what I was making, & smelled terrible odor.
    It was a rotten egg! It was awful!
    I had to pitch the batch & start over, now I crack eggs in a separate bowl first.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Thanks, dear. I've also cracked a bad egg in the past...like you, directly into the mix. I sure learned my lesson. There's nothing quite like the aroma of a rotting egg. Ugh. I made up for yesterday by making a killer batch of brownies tonight. I feel much better now.
      Thanks again.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. You are surely not alone in those minor cooking upsets - or "disaster" as you deem it. Oh, if mine were only a handful of times... 🙄 Handsome is so right...all your efforts in the kitchen need not be perfection - although, they do LOOK perfect! I would imagine the greatest frustration yesterday was that you desired to surprise your lovely Sweet with lovely sweets, and, well, they just plain stunk. 😉 Enjoy your day of stitching! I am certain you will return to "kitchen perfection" with your next cookie baking efforts 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Thanks so much for your uplifting words. I surely appreciate them. I made brownies that came out exactly as they should tonight, and feel much better. I think I just had a Valentine jinx on me yesterday. Nice to get back to normal again. lol Stitching always helps!
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I know you don't want to hear this but perhaps you can remember that it's the thought that counts? More important to spend time with your beloved. I know how disappointed you felt though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, MA, you're so right! The last thing Handsome said to me last night was that he really wanted to thank me for making the Valentine cookies. It didn't matter that they didn't turn out. He really appreciated the effort. It was so sweet of him to say. I made brownies tonight and they turned out just as they were supposed to. Rave reviews from my sweetheart. Thanks so much for your words of encouragement, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. The cookies do look fantastic. I am sure the next batch will be delicious.
    Sorry you had a sour experience

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it's not a disaster, take them out of the trash and put them outside for the creatures, they will certainly love your hard work.
    I do know how disappointed you must have felt.
    But that plate of cookies definitely looks cookbook worthy.
    It was an excellent meal together, that's all that matters.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Dang! Too late now, but you're right. The raccoons and opossums would have loved them! Rats. They're in the trash outside now. I was disappointed, but Handsome was so sweet. We did have a nice meal, and I made brownies tonight that were almost noteworthy. lol I appreciate your kind words. Next time (hopefully not too soon), I'll share with the outside critters.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Oh Donna, I can imagine how disappointed you were, but I would bet that in future years this will be remembered as a sweet memory because of your efforts to do something special for your hubby. That's what mattered the most after all... (... & I've learned that once in a while, it's nice to let Betty Crocker - or the Pillsbury Dough Boy lend a hand in the kitchen.) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bren:
      Thanks so much for leaving a note for me today. We actually giggled a bit last night adding this to the list of my "greatest hits"...dropping an entire meal on the floor as I was bringing it to the table (I was a new wife); totally annihilating a turkey in the oven; ruining a new saucepan when I hard-cooked spaghetti sauce in it because I had the heat too high when I left it on the stovetop and got sidetracked; and then the Valentine cookies. I actually think there were more, but this is an example of when memory loss is a good thing. lol I do love Betty Crocker and the Dough Boy, and am not ashamed to say they frequently help out in the farm kitchen. I'm loving your new collection, by the way. You really have a wonderful design sense, my friend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  7. Oops... I'm the anonymous comment above!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna