July 28, 2023

Garden Update...

I think I'll have to start picking tomatoes in the next few days. Each cluster has at least one tomato ripening. That means it's going to be a busy week. My garden continues to grow, whether I'm ready or not, so there may be a canning session mixed in the midst of an upcoming busy week. Cross your fingers (with me) that the majority of my tomatoes wait until after August 5th.

My 50th class reunion is next weekend, and as the chair for the planning committee, I still have much to do. I'll be ordering the cake and cupcakes today, as well as sending the classmate directory to press. It's going to be busy. I'll also help my committee with putting out any last minute fires that arise as the week progresses.

It's always lovely to have my outdoor girls join me when I'm in the garden. Claudette is always around my ankles, so I make frequent stops to cuddle and pet her. In this photo, she's watching her daughter who followed me right into the "fenced off" area (I don't really consider trellis a "fence", but it works as a makeshift barrier). As soon as I walked around, she rolled over to ask for belly rubs. Of course, I obliged!

My brave little scaredy cat. I know. Oxymoron. She was brave enough to travel through all hazards to get back to me, but often hides from the dogs - unlike her mama who confronts them head-on. Maybe she's the wiser of the two? She got snuggles, too.

So, I'm off to the bakery this morning, and will run a few other errands with Handsome before coming home to my "To Do" list. I don't often write out entire speeches, but I will formulate a bullet list for my speech to my high school class so I don't forget important things I need to say. It shouldn't be difficult as I've been reciting it in my head for weeks.

We've been enjoying the airplane and jet flyovers from the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) Airshow this week. Oshkosh is across Lake Winnebago from us, so planes pass over as they're coming or going (depending on the direction of the wind). Thirty three war birds flew over in formation mid-week in groups of four, with a single plane bringing up the rear. It was quite the sight. 

Last night, one of the jets flew almost directly over the farmhouse, and then lit the afterburners to climb up through the clouds. We went to many airshows while we were in Florida, and I well-remember watching the Air Force Thunderbirds or Navy Blue Angels when they did their shows. After a "Missing Man" formation, one jet would disappear for a while, and then zoom back into the view by strafing the audience from a completely unexpected direction (usually from behind while we were all looking ahead). Once past, it would fly straight up into the clouds again. You could feel the power of the jet in your chest as it climbed. 

I imagine last night's jet as the "Missing Man", far from the show audience, keeping himself out of sight until it was time to surprise the crowd with his re-arrival. I can tell you that as Handsome and I stood in our yard watching him (or her), I was gleefully jumping up and down as the afterburners were lit and the jet climbed out of sight. I'm looking forward to the other shows this weekend, and crossing my fingers that we're again treated to another display.

I'd better get moving now. I have lots to do and want to get everything accomplished early so I can sit with an adult beverage to watch the show tonight. I hope you have a great Friday, and a wonderful weekend. See you tomorrow!

12 comments:

  1. That was a neat treat - very cool! Oh, my, I don't envy your "To Do" List. I'll keep my complaints about my own "To Do" list to myself as them seem to pale in comparison; but, we can keep encouraging ourselves with getting things checked off our lists. Although, those last minute details and "fires" have a way of adding to the list. /-: I will happily leave reunion plans to someone else. Gee whiz, what kind of vitamin B must you be taking?! (-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      I sleep really well at night, which helps. I do take a regimen of vitamins (Quercitin, D3, zinc, magnesium and turmeric) daily and knock wood, I haven't been sick a day in nearly seven years. I highly recommend daily D3 and zinc to everyone. My reunion committee all agreed that we've gone all out this year. It's someone else's baby from now on. I do like the idea of monthly gatherings of friends at a restaurant in lieu of further reunions, though. I'll be glad when this one is under way.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Sherry of createology: So good to be home after a seven state road trip. Never travel in July!!! Your garden is producing nicely. Your class reunion will be wonderful and all participants will enjoy it fully. Your guidance and chairwomanship will be the key! Air shows are amazing. Happy Weekend Dear…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      A seven state road trip?! That sound awesome! I miss our airstream, but we wouldn't be on the road to leave the garden and cats anyway. I guess I'm officially a lady farmer. hee hee
      Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know the reunion will be recorded, so I may share a link when it's all over.
      Happy Weekend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Our cherry tomatoes are showing signs of ripening but I think it will be a couple weeks yet before we get any.
    Very cool to have the planes going over your house - hopefully they don't scare the pups too much. Sounds like you have a busy time ahead of you...I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      The dogs love the chance to romp in the yard, and hardly pay attention to the show overhead. We've had lots of hot days lately, so I think that's been contributing to our vegetables (especially tomatoes) ripening. I'm certainly looking forward to enjoying the reunion because our work will be done.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. I'm a list maker too, and it is so good to cross each one off only to add more as I go.
    You sure have a fun, busy and exciting week ahead of you.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I seem to accomplish more when I have a list. I don't get sidetracked as easily. It's going to be a busy week, for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing my bestie coming in from GA, too. We always have a grand time together. An old grade school beau and his wife are coming in from CA, too, even though he didn't actually graduate with us. (He'd moved to another city.) I haven't seen him in over 35 years, and will love meeting his wife. It's going to be a great time. Happy weekend, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Your tomatoes look good!
    I'm glad you give the girls some attention.
    We've seen a few of those small planes going overhead, some of them are small, but very loud!
    Sadly, 2 had to make emergency landings not far from here, but, no injuries.
    We usually go up there and park in Hardee's lot to watch, but with these storms, I doubt we will go today.
    I love the Warbirds!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I bet that was exciting, and I'm glad no one was hurt. I thought about us going over to an overlook park to see a better view than we have here on the backside of a hill from the show, but I have too much to do to even think about it. I'll have to make do with what we get from here.
      Have a great weekend, dear!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna