July 19, 2023

Garden Update...

 
Handsome and I worked in and around my garden yesterday. It's looking really good. We water it most nights for about a half hour. The marigolds have kept all the bugs away (knock wood), so I know they're doing their job. The white trellis piece keeps Bella away from my tomatoes, as she'd likely pick them all if she had the chance. The fennel I started from seeds is up, too, and everything else is growing beautifully. 

Radishes are mostly done, so I've cleaned up their spot and will plant carrots in their place. I also have a few other seeds I'll be planting today as there's still time on the calendar to harvest before it gets cold again.

We purchased another stock tank, which we installed today. That's where I'm going to plant this year's crop of delicata squash, along with a white pumpkin plant or two. I'll show you where we placed the new tank in tomorrow's post.

 
My sweet peas are growing right up the makeshift trellis I installed. It's actually the stand for multiple hummingbird feeders, but I have all of those hanging higher and closer to the house. I strung garden string from the stand, and the sweet peas are really taking to it.
 
One of the pots has basil that I need to transplant into the garden, and the other has the last of my radishes for this year. I'm going to plant carrots where the pots are, but I put the pots up here to be out of the way while Handsome trimmed the grass in my walkways. I think next year, I'm going to put down cardboard or another barrier, and then pea gravel to clean it up more.

 
All my tomato plants (both Romas and Early Girls) are heavily laden with fruit. This is just one large plant, but I put in eight Roma plants and eight EGs, so there will be tomatoes to turn into pizza and spaghetti sauce once they ripen.
 
I'm going to buy 8-10 dozen ears of local sweet corn once it comes in for canning. My green peppers are all fruiting, and I'm going to let some turn red before I harvest them. I also have bush beans that I started from seed. They have lots of blossoms and are beginning to set beans, too. 
 
In separate beds, I have garlic and onions growing, but I didn't plant any potatoes. I figure at $13-$16 for 50 pounds, I can pick those up when I'm in Portage, which is Wisconsin potato country with its sandy soil. The potatoes I purchased there last year were delicious.

 
Sweet Claudette supervised me in the garden, only leaving when we enlisted the tractor to fill my new stock tank with dirt. When we were finally finished for the day, I grabbed a glass of water and sat on the porch - in the shade with a lovely breeze to help me cool off. I found "Dettie" curled up in her favorite chair, and getting a little rest after all that hard work, watching me. Doesn't she look exhausted?

We'll be back in the garden for a little while this morning, as I plant the squash, pumpkin and some carrot seeds. Then, I'm getting ready for some special house guests for the next couple days. They'll be here late, late on Thursday and leave Friday afternoon. I'll explain why the visit is short on Saturday, as I can't spoil a surprise.

It was too nice to stitch today, but I'll share my progress as soon as I'm able. This time of year, it's so difficult to decide...outside or inside? I love my outdoor time, but I do get itchy if I go too long without my needlework. You know I have to keep my hands busy, so I promise you'll see something new any day.

Happy Hump Day!
 

10 comments:

  1. It's no wonder Claudette was exhausted...I'm tired thinking about all that gardening work you and Handsome accomplished, while she supervised! It must be terribly rewarding to reap the harvest from that lovely garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      I haven't had this extensive a garden in nearly 40 years. It's been so rewarding to see how things are growing, and to know I'll be canning our own produce this year. Poor Claudette, always needs to find a shady spot so her dark fur doesn't solar load.
      Hope you're having a wonderful week, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks like it's doing well.
    Claudette is too silly!
    I have to keep my hands busy also, even if we have the TV on at night, I still have something to work on. :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      She always announces her arrival with her silly "mow". Handsome says she needs "meow lessons". Busy hands are happiest, aren't they?
      We're again on the downside of another week. Where does the time go?
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Your gardens are looking wonderful! Sometimes I miss having a garden, especially when I see pictures like these. Resident Chef grows a few things on our balcony but I miss having things like cucumbers (and zucchini!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I can only imagine how much you miss your gardens now. I'm enjoying getting my hands dirty, along with my feet as I frequently kick off my shoes when I start working out there. So far the marigolds are keeping the bugs away, too. (Bonus)
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Donna your garden looks wonderful. It appears between your hubby and yourself you have everything well under control. Hope your company brings you lots of joy. Have a good end to your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie:
      Thanks so much! We're already talking about expanding it for next year! Looking forward to company's arrival tomorrow evening. I have a few fun things planned for the kidlets.
      Hope you finish your week in fine form, too, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Garden looks great. All that hard work is really paying off.
    I can see Claudette has worn her paws down to numbs.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to harvesting and canning all that goodness. I planted delicata, white scallop, straightneck and Honeynut (like butternut) squash, as well as more carrots today. Yes. Poor Claudette. Supervising is such hard work. lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna