January 26, 2023

New Flooring In The Studio...

 
I went to town yesterday in search of a rug to place under my chair and tables in the studio. I had two main reasons for doing this. One is that the floors in this old farmhouse are cold in the winter, and I sew either in socks or barefoot (depending on the season). Two is because these office chairs rub the finish right off the hardwood floor - even though it had a heavy duty urethane finish. Note to self: Find those rubber rollers to replace the hard plastic wheels on this chair.

I went to the Menard's in Fond du Lac and found this carpet remnant with bound edges. Looking at the photograph, it appears dirty. It's not, but the shadows in the room are really playing with its appearance. I also purchased a pad to go under the carpet so that its backing wouldn't damage the floor in here, too. The room already feels warmer! The fact that it was a remnant also meant that it didn't cost an arm and a leg. It was actually less than $50 for a 6' x 9' rug.

 
I knew the new rug wouldn't reach to the area in front of my cutting table, so I looked for other options. I found a package of these (bright) 18" foam tiles that fit together like a puzzle, and picked them up for $14.

Once I got home, I rolled my machines out of the room and wrestled the pad and rug into place. Then, I placed the tiles and moved the machines back in. Enough of that moving stuff for a while!

I went back over my list of projects to sew in the next two weeks. I'm in pretty good shape, actually. My day will begin today with animals, and then I have a little book work in the office before I get back to studio work. I'd better have breakfast first. It's going to be another busy day.

14 comments:

  1. The rug looks nice & I'm sure is warmer for your feet.
    We had new flooring put in 3 rooms after a hassle with a bad carpet job.
    I need to get a rug for my sewing room also.
    Sometimes you can find great stuff at Menard's.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      It was the first time I'd been to Menard's in ages. There was so much to see! I really had to stay focused. lol I love the hardwood floors in our farmhouse, but this time of year, wall-to-wall carpet would be a luxury.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. Be careful with your choice of carpet companies, we had a VERY bad experience with.........ok, I'll say it...............EMPIRE!

      Delete
    3. No worries. We're not likely to get carpeting any time soon, but I'll certainly keep that in mind. Thanks for the warning, hon.

      Delete
  2. I was feeling pretty good about my accomplishments yesterday, until I came to check on you this morning... LOL! I can't wait to see pictures of your booth set up at the show; it's going to look amazing with all your beautiful merchandise! I like the rug and could use one for my sewing room, too, as I also sew in socks or barefoot. I need to feel the sewing machine pedal under my toes and it always feels awkward under a shoe. Just hasn't been a priority. Yet. (-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lois:
      You and I must be sisters from another mother! I'm the same way with my sewing machine pedals. I almost grab it with my toes, and sew without shoes - even at retreats! I'm always walking around in socks. The only reason I got that rug now is because it's so darn cold in the farmhouse without one. Like I told Marilyn, carpets would be a luxury this time of year.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I love the look of your studio and the rug is perfect. I can't imagine wrestling it into place single handedly though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary:
      You would have laughed at me. I got so warm trying to horse things around that I took my warm shirt off until I was finished and could cool off (which didn't take long in this winter weather). I was a real sight! Thanks for liking my new look in the studio!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. I wish my sewing space had hardwood floors that I could then add a rug on top, at least in the traffic areas. Instead we have carpet throughout the entire apartment (not the kitchen and bathroom luckily) and I really do hate it. After 12 years (and several cleanings) it's starting to look its age but replacing it is out of the question. A remnant is perfect for what you need (and I like those bright tiles too!...hmmm....maybe I should cover my entire sewing room with them??!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I seriously weighed the benefits of putting those tiles in the whole work area. They're relatively inexpensive, and feel good under my feet. I just wasn't sure how they'd wear under my chair. I guess that while I would like carpet (from time to time), what we do have in the upstairs hall looks awful right now, too. It's mostly there to make it easier for the dogs to do the steep stairs, but I'm not quite ready to replace it yet. I'd say "go for it" with the tiles. They could sit right on top of your carpet in your sewing space!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: I really like your floor solutions. You are a really good shopper to get such bargains. I used to have those puzzle pieces all around my large studio table. I got them at Harbor Freight and they last really well. I also used them to block a knitted baby blanket because the pins don’t cause any damage to the hardy foam. Enjoy your day dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Using them for blocker boards is a brilliant idea! We now have a Harbor Freight in town, and it's taken all my will power to stay away from it. I fear I'd do some real financial damage in there! lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Bargain shopping that looks like a million bucks. I'm sure that was not an easy task getting that rug down but it sure looks perfect.
    Have a great day.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I was pretty chuffed with my financial and physical accomplishments by the end of the day. Thanks for liking the end result!
      Same to you, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna