August 4, 2021

The Apples Have Landed...

Brynwood Needleworks - A Big Pot of Goodness
 
Handsome has been raking up windfall apples for over a week, so I mentioned that it might be a good idea to make applesauce with them. I think he was sick of raking, because his reply was that he was close to cutting down the tree, (I know he'd never do that!) and those apples were going out to the habitat. 

Then, a couple days later, he came back to me and said he thought making them into applesauce would be a good idea - and he'd even help. Done!

We collected fifteen gallons of apples in three big buckets, and spent two days turning them into applesauce.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Processed Applesauce

There are a dozen quarts in this photo, but by the time we were finished, there were eighteen jars. We used two Nesco roasters on Monday, and one on Tuesday. After they were nice and mushy, we milled all the applesauce through my mother-in-law's chinois to take out all the seeds and skins.
 
Once we had the "good stuff", it went into my Kilner pot, and I added cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg, and heated it back up. From there, it was into quart jars for a water bath. All the jars have "popped", meaning they all sealed properly, and I've got them all labeled. They'll go into the pantry this morning.

Between the zucchini relish and applesauce, I'm pretty tuckered out. I'm so glad Handsome offered to help in this process. I really couldn't have done it without him doing the heavy lifting for me.

I have a needlework order to fulfill today, so I think the timing is perfect. I can sit and stitch. Coffee first? Yes, please.

DonnaAcornSignature

8 comments:

  1. The applesauce looks delicious!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of work, but that taste of summer in the middle of a winter snow storm will taste pretty sweet I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy, but I can only imagine the amount of work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      It seems more strenuous when I'm not 100%. I'm tired today. A little rest, and I'll be ready for the next round. Thankfully, I'm finished with apples for this year.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Your bounty of relish and applesauce will be so wonderful when you enjoy it this winter. Work well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I could eat either one straight from the jars! lol (Of course, I won't.)
      Wishing you a great week.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna