August 23, 2021

Smoky Paprika Tomato Jam…

Brynwood Needleworks - Eight Pounds of Chopped Tomatoes

Sunday was a productive day. Lawn mowed, and then I chopped eight pounds of beautiful Roma tomatoes (grown in Shelley’s and my gardens) to make a double batch of Smoky Paprika Tomato Jam. (The recipe is in Marisa McClellan’s “Preserving By The Pint” cookbook.)

I made this recipe last year, and had to do it again. It’s a simple recipe, calling for tomatoes, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt, sugar, ground ginger, red pepper flakes and (optional cayenne pepper, which I leave out). 

Brynwood Needleworks - Five Hours Later

Once all the ingredients are well mixed in the pot, they go on the stove to cook down to a jam consistency. The recipe calls for 45 minutes, single batch, cooked in a metal pan. As mine was a double batch, I used my jam pot, and it took five hours to cook down. Her recipe calls for cherry tomatoes, so I’m figuring our Romas accounted for the increased juice/cooking time. 

Brynwood Needleworks - Three Jars of Smoky Paprika Tomato Jam

I managed to fill three pint jars and then processed them in a fifteen minute water bath. The farmhouse smelled great, and now we have homemade barbecue sauce or a tasty topping for hamburgers, brats, hot dogs, or anything you’d like to have a smoky barbecue flavor.

Tag will be back tomorrow, and I’ll see you again Wednesday. It’s going to be a busy week. After coffee, I’ll be off and running. See you later…

DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. That looks SO good!! How I wish we had a place for cold storage here because I'd love to try this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna