August 2, 2021

It's That Time Again...

Brynwood Needleworks - Saturday Canning
 
The local farmer's markets are back in full swing again, and Shelly's garden is yielding some whopper zucchini. She gave us some of her harvest, and we opted to can more of our favorite relish. (The recipe is in Marisa McClellan's book, Food In Jars.)
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Zucchini and Pepper Relish
 
The two large "zukes" weighed in at a whopping six pounds each! My job was to grate the veggies the recipe wanted grated (zucchini and onion), and Handsome chopped the red, yellow, and green bell peppers. My big Cuisinart™ food processor was a life saver for that task!
 
So, I cut and grated twelve pounds of zucchini, and then grated seven huge sweet onions, while Handsome chopped his way through twenty two peppers. The rest of the ingredients were added, as called for, into my big Kilner jam pot, and the relish was processed in batches.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - 26 Pints of Delicious

After about seven hours, Handsome and I took the last jars out of my electric Ball jar canner. We ended up with twenty six (26) pint jars filled with this deliciousness. 
 
In case you're wondering, we use this relish on all kinds of sausages (brats, Italian, hot dogs...) and hamburgers. Actually, it's so darn good that we even put some into a dish on snack trays. It's tasty on top of crackers and cheese!
 
Our ancient apple tree has been tossing fruit for about a week, too. Handsome and I sorted through all of them, and ended up with fifteen gallons of usable apples. Guess what we're doing today. I'll give you a hint...
(Applesauce)
After the dogs are fed...and I get a cup of morning coffee.

DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. I love the way canned look all so pretty lined up in jars. :)
    Enjoy your relish, it looks delicious.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I do, too...especially in the pantry cupboard! I think it's a feeling of abundance, security and accomplishment. Thanks so much for your note.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. I can just about smell that relish cooking! There's nothing like the smell of pickles cooking this time of year. I used to do a lot of them (zucchini relish included) but now we just do a small batch here and there. Not having a cold cellar is an issue. Zuc relish is always tops on our list though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie:
      So glad you know about the tasty zucchini relish! You're right. The whole house smelled like pickle! Today, it was applesauce. After Handsome and I work through the last of the apples, I'm going to put my feet up for a while! It's hard work in large batches. I like that small batch idea!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Wow, you’ve been busy! I used to can fruits and veggies, but I haven’t in a few years. When my great aunt was alive, I had lots of apples to use. Hubby loves apple butter in his oatmeal, so I may have to find some apples this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      I love apple butter, but mostly can applesauce, which Handsome loves. After processing 10 gallons today, with five more gallons tomorrow, I think I will have had my fill of apples for this year! That old tree is sure prolific! I need a nap. lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna