August 28, 2021

Insulators...

Brynwood Needleworks - Electrical Insulators

We had a little excitement here this past week. We had a visit from the guys at the power company. A few days prior, a man stopped to check the power pole on our property that brings the lines from the road to the farmhouse, and he marked an orange "OK" on the grass. We figured it meant the power pole was good.

Nope. That just meant that it was okay to dig, and that there was nothing dangerous buried nearby. The pole, however, needed to be replaced, so a couple days later, two power trucks with lift buckets, a huge hole digger, and a new pole arrived on the scene.

The workers were unbelievable! Once the support wire for the pole was detached, that pole started swaying. They said that a good storm could have taken it down anytime, and that the below-ground portion was pretty much done. 

They dug the hole for the new pole, and immediately erected the taller replacement right next to the old sentinel (which they figure had stood there for nearly fifty years), and promptly moved the wiring over. In the process, they removed the insulators (in the photo above) and gave them to Handsome. 
 
They also asked if we wanted the poles, and they'd be happy to cut them up for us, too. Handsome came inside to ask me, and I said, "Sure! We can use them to create raised beds for a garden." I suggested cutting our pole (and a second one they also offered from down the street) into eight and two-foot lengths would be perfect. They did exactly that, and left them behind for us, too.

A day later, we used our larger tractor to move them to the west end of the Compass Barn until next spring. We'll figure out where we want to set them up, after we prep the ground for them. You know, removing grass, putting down a barrier, covering with pea gravel, and then placing the pole sections. I'll have fun over the winter planning what our garden will look like, and we can decide where we'll put it.

In the meantime, I can enjoy these insulators indoors. They're both heavy, and made of ceramic. I've never seen the style of the tall one before. There are two holes that run in opposite directions, through which the lines ran. There are two small chips in one side, but it's not cracked or otherwise damaged. I've learned that the manufacturer of that one is Locke. This is what I've learned about that one. It's pretty cool information.
 
The short one, is also heavy, and in perfect shape, so I'll set them out with the two other glass insulators that Shelly gave me shortly after we moved in here. It's a LAPP insulator, dated 1930. If it was installed commensurate with the date, that pole is older than fifty years!
 
I guess I have a new collection of memorabilia from the farm! It's going to be fun to learn about both of the insulators.

DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. Very cool look for your decor! I wouldn’t have had a clue as to what they were if you hadn’t said. I can’t wait to see your new garden next spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      I thought they were really cool, too! A little more history from the property. I had to look up the manufacturer's information. The internet is a wonderful tool. I'm looking forward to cleaning up the garden, for sure!
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. That was a 'phew' moment to know that you now have a safe pole....good thing they replaced it. The insulators are way cool and definitely a collectors item. And even better that you found a use for the old pole(s) and they can remain on your property for many more years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      No kidding! We were a bit unnerved when we learned that little tidbit. I'm tickled with the insulators. I only ever knew about the ones that are kind of conical, and we've got a bunch of those. Some are hanging on the side of the Compass Barn, and others are already on display in the house. I'm looking forward to helping get the poles placed for a vegetable and herb garden next year. Now that the hollyhocks have taken over the spot next to the back door, I need to come up with a new plan. This should do it!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear they replaced before it damaged something.
    The insulators are cool & hold a great memory.
    You will have a nice garden next year with those poles.
    Sorry you didn't find furniture yet, but sometimes it takes awhile.
    You have to be sure it's something that fits your needs.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I'm with you! Thankfully, it's well across the yard, so it couldn't have hurt the house or Compass Barn, but it would have shut down our power for a while! I'm looking forward to the new garden, too! I'll be planning placement and the rest over the winter. By the time I'm replying to your note, we've chosen and paid for our sectional. Waiting for it to arrive will be the hard part now. Thankfully, it's only a couple of month (fingers crossed the date doesn't change to further out!). It's going to be really wonderful. Now to get to making the curtains!
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna