November 20, 2020

Jane's Applique' Quilt...

Brynwood Needleworks - Jane's Quilt
 
After inspecting the wedding ring quilt, I decided against it. However, I'm so glad to be the new owner of the beautiful applique' quilt I shared a couple days ago. I can now show you the newly cleaned and lovely design. 

The quilt measures approximately 87" x 100", and features meandering vines with leaves and tulips. Each leaf is about 4" long.

Brynwood Needleworks - Jane's Quilt  - Applique' Detail
 
All the motifs are impeccably stitched, and the leaves are accented with additional embroidery. The quilting is done by hand, as well.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Jane's Quilt - Look!
 
After washing and drying the quilt, I noticed mustard-colored thread in one corner of the binding. Upon closer inspection, I was elated!
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Jane's Quilt  - Dated

Jane embroidered the year into her quilt! Not only that, but it's my birth year! I guess I was meant to be the new owner. I sure feel fortunate that it's now mine.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Jane's Quilt - Accent Strip

The last feature I noticed was a lovely, soft yellow strip on the top of the quilt, also featuring leaves. 
 
I love everything about this quilt. It's soft, lovely, and so beautifully crafted by our friend's mom - a woman I also knew. Jane's legacy of lovely quilts will live on in the homes of many people who purchased them this past week...including me.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

8 comments:

  1. The Tulip quilt is just beautiful.
    What a streak of joy to find your birth year on the quilt!
    Enjoy it.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I thought so, too! We were meant to be, right?
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. That's my birth year too! Your new quilt is so beautiful - reminds me of both of my grandmothers who quilted all the time. Unfortunately I only managed to inherit one quilt from my maternal grandma - don't know where the rest ended up. All the quilts my paternal grandma made were lost in a house fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      We're birth year sisters! I'm so sorry you only have one quilt from your grandmothers. How awful that so much is lost when there's a fire. I can't even imagine how devastating it must be. I'm so sorry, dear.
      My grandmothers didn't quilt, but my paternal grandmother was a prolific crocheter. I have a number of warm afghans she created just for me. I love cuddling up in one from time to time. I hope my granddaughters will eventually do the same with my quilts when I'm gone - many, many years from now. ;-)
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. I was only a kid when the fire happened so I had no idea of what treasures were lost. I vaguely remember a huge armoire at the top of the stairs that was stuffed right full of her quilts though. My maternal grandma knitted lace and I have some of that...my mother tatted but never could manage to teach me that skill.

      Delete
    3. How wonderful to come from a family of creators. My mother had no such interests. My first exposure to sewing was because my mother purchased a sewing machine from my best friend's dad. I was 11. It came with free lessons, and my mother said, "Teach her.", pointing at me. I'm grateful that her disinterest was my gain. I then went on to needlework shortly after that. When I then met the fiance' (I didn't marry), my dear Mom Grace (his mom) taught me the finer points of embroidery and other handwork. She taught me so much more, and truly became a mother to me through a relationship that lasted 42 years until she passed.

      How blessed you were to have had such creative women in your life.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. What an awesome quilt! I would be elated with that find!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna