November 6, 2020

This Is What Happens...

Brynwood Needleworks - Farmhouse Floor - Refinished
 
Remember just how gorgeous our maple floors were once the old varnish was removed four years ago? I can refresh your memory with this photograph. The 2" wide maple boards became gorgeous again. We loved them.
 
Our kitchen area, pantry, main porch entry, back hall, and back entry are still covered in sticky tile that I can't wait to remove.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Entry Lino Tiles
 
These is was what the top of our stairs looked like. This vintage linoleum tile is never what I would have chosen. I'm sure it was lovely when it was new, but we love the wood.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Friends & Family Entrance Floor

So...this was sort of like peeling sunburn skin, or eating potato chips...I took one tile off, and just couldn't stop!

Brynwood Needleworks - Stair Treads Sans Tiles
 
Look!! No more tile! I wasn't having much luck with the straight slot screw heads, so the metal edges are still on the treads. I got most of the sticky tiles off the stair treads going up to the kitchen, though.

Brynwood Needleworks - Entry Landing Sans Tiles

The main entry was a bit of a bear. Some of the sticky tiles got a little extra "sticky". They weren't anxious to lift up. I was spoiled that the other tiles almost jumped into my hands. Not these guys!

I still have the tiles to pull off the stairs down to the basement. I'll that today, but it won't take long. In the meantime, I have a call in to our floor refinisher (Bob from Sandman Refinishers). I went to school with his wife, and remember when they were dating. I'm so glad we had him work on the rest of the house, so I'm hoping he'll be able to fit our project into his schedule. (Maybe I should have called him first?)

This is what happens when Handsome's away. Maybe this is why he likes being a home body? I think he'll be surprised.

DonnaAcornSignature

5 comments:

  1. The wood will look god once refinished.
    I remember at our old house, the back hallway was ugly wallpaper.
    Well, I started peeling, like you, & turns out they must had a sample book, because under the first layer was all different squares & patterns.
    I couldn't peel it off fast enough!
    Have a nice weekend.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I guess we never think of these things when we're doing our own decorating. I found myself wondering if I'd ever done anything like that. (I don't think so.) Paint is so much easier, but I do love wallpaper.
      I'm still working to remove ONE tile that was glued down with what I think was super glue! I have about a quarter of the tile left, and I've been using a hammer and chisel to try to get it up. I may try a heat gun next. Of course, I'll be careful so I don't start something on fire! I'll let you know how that goes.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. When the cat's away, the mice will play! I just hope you are sure that those tiles aren't asbestos? Scary thought! We're sure our apartment has asbestos tiles (which we covered with new tiles and didn't touch the old) despite being assured by the building management that such is not the case. However...they DO say that the tiles in the stairwells ARE asbestos and, funny thing, the ones in our apartment look exactly the same. We didn't want to tempt fate so just covered what was there. Your floors are going to look SO much better (already do!)...but don't overdo yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MA:
    Here we go, thinking alike again. I mentioned it to "my guy" (yes, he got here today to look at and assess the floors). He said not to worry because the tiles that have the sticky backing - which ours are, even though a few of them got an extra glue boost - would have been manufactured post-asbestos. I sighed in relief, as I'd already been pulling them up.
    I'm glad you knew what you had before you put yourselves at risk.
    Thanks for your concern, hon. I appreciate it.
    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you should be just a tad worried if you think like me!! Good to know the sticky backing theory - the tiles in our apartment are glued down so we're pretty certain they're asbestos. Not going to tempt fate with them anyway.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna