November 18, 2020

Coming To Hickory Hill Farm...

Brynwood Needleworks - Vintage Applique' Quilt
 
Since moving back to Wisconsin, we've learned of old friends who are no longer with us. I didn't realize that one of our friends passed last summer until a couple days ago. I learned of this when I came across an ad for an estate sale in Handsome's old neighborhood.
 
I contacted the operator of the estate sale - also a friend who purchased Handsome and my first home - and asked her a few questions about some of the things I'd seen advertised. While I've also purchased a few other things, these two quilts will definitely be coming to the farmhouse.
 
I happen to know that our friend's mom created these quilts. While they're not labeled, I've been the recipient (many years ago) of one of her creations, and I know that she made every quilt in our friend's home. Our friend was her only child, and after her husband passed, she moved in with her daughter and son-in-law. The quilts were lovingly cared for, and will continue to be loved in our home.
 
I've wanted a quilt in these colors since I saw the golden color a few weeks ago. Remember THIS post? This will be my first quilt featuring these colors.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Vintage Wedding Ring Quilt

The other quilt I've purchased is a wedding ring quilt, also created by my friend's mom. I love this block, and can't wait to see it in person. 
 
I'm going to make labels for each of these quilts, crediting the creator, and where it was made. I wish I had dates to put on the labels, but I don't. Even so, adding the name of the quilter and where it was made will add to its provenance.

I'm going to do a "grab and go" to pick these up, and will photograph them opened up to share with you once I get them back home. I'm so grateful to have them, and am blessed to be their next owner and caretaker.

DonnaAcornSignature

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your friend.
    The quilts are both beautiful, & great memories of your friend.
    Glad you were able to acquire them.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. I'm so looking forward to having them here.
      I hope you have a great day today!
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry about your friend. I am, however, so happy you are giving these quilts a lovely new home where they will be loved. You mentioned making a label and that you didn't know when the quilts were made....could you perhaps, instead, include the birth date and death date of the creator? That would narrow the window down to when it might have been made. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      What an excellent idea! I'll look up her obituary and do exactly that. Thank you so much!
      xo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna