October 29, 2020

Master Bedroom - A Work In Progress...

Brynwood Needleworks - Farmhouse Bed

You thought this was done already, right? In February, 2018, I wrote a blog post about the Paul Bunyan bed and bedroom set we purchased for the master bedroom. While it's a beautiful set, this bed has, lately, been almost impossible for me to get into at night. That's mainly because of the issues related to my recent surgeries. (I wrote about this beautiful set HERE.)
 
Well, obviously, I need to be able to get into bed at night without having an issue, so Handsome and I discussed options. The Paul Bunyan bed is a queen size bed, and while it fit in the master bedroom, the whole set definitely took up more space. We even discussed painting the set to make it appear smaller, but in the end, the height of the mattresses was still an issue. Let me say that changing the depth of the mattresses wouldn't make a significant difference because of where the rails are set to hold them.

Brynwood Needleworks - Farmhouse Bed

I have loved the double size farmhouse bed since I purchased it before we'd even moved into the house. The downside of this bed is that, my dear husband is 6'5" tall, and a double bed is too short for him. We do have a queen size bed in another bedroom, so we have sleeping options.

In light of the fact that I'm likely to have another surgery, I need a bed in which I'm comfortable (I sleep alone post-op), and the farmhouse bed fits that parameter. So, a week ago, the Paul Bunyan bed left the second floor (thanks to my dear nephew's help), and the farmhouse bed returned to the master bedroom.

The rest of the dark bedroom set will be moved out, as soon as I find adequate vintage pieces to replace the dresser and armoire. Then, we'll sell the entire set as the guest room is too small for it. My vintage dressing table will also come back into this room.

Usually, I have a larger table next to the bed, but with winter coming, I don't want my chair blocking the radiator. The little plant stand will function perfectly as a surface for my overnight water bottle, and my eye glasses. 

I'm not sure I like the Wyeth print so high above the bed, so that might move into the fabric room when it's finally turned into the future guest room. We also brought the side wall lamps with us from Florida when we moved here. They've been stored safely until now. We've mounted them on the wall, and they function perfectly next to the farmhouse bed.

Once the entire bedroom is finished in keeping with the farmhouse look, I'll be sure to take more photographs to share. For now, I have a completely comfortable place to sleep and rest. I have a lot of sorting to do...mainly clothes (sheesh! How did I accumulate so much?), but there are other things, too, and then I can finish up. I can tell you there are lots of pieces that will be donated and shared.

One other piece I need is a nice bookcase. I love to read, and most of our books are still in boxes - tucked where they'll stay dry and safe until we have bookcases. I miss our Florida library room, and hope we can figure out the best place to do that here. For now, a bookcase in the master bedroom would be a nice start. 

I have so much inspiration from which to draw. I save photos that I find on Pinterest or online from favorite blogs. I'm not in any hurry, so I have time to edit and end up with what we really want. I like that this is a work in progress. Once of these days it will be complete, but I'm going to enjoy the process...the journey...until we get there.

DonnaAcornSignature

9 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful set, but you have to have what makes you comfortable.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. It is, but I've had ongoing issues with it. I'm getting too old to "hop up" into bed at night. lol
      My loss will be someone else's gain.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Sometimes beauty has to give way to functionality. It's too bad, but you have pictures and that will help. So sorry you're facing yet more surgery Donna - thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MA. I'm actually looking forward to a solution, whether it requires surgery or not. I'll know more after my doctor's appointment Friday.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. I'll be thinking of you and hope you get some good news.

      Delete
  3. I got rid of the massive King size bed that Jim and I shared after he died. I went down to a full size bed but looking to utilize space I bought one that had four drawers built in underneath it. I wasn't thinking about my height of 5'3". I eventually bought a step stool for getting up into bed. They are easily found. The little boost up is all I needed and even after my back surgery I was able to get in and out of bed easily. I have a friend who just has a tall bed like you and she has a stepstool to help her in and out while her husband has no problem being on the tall side. It's an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TerriSue:
      I had a little step stool for getting into the tall bed, but it was still difficult, and not very comfortable for sleeping. I'm so much happier with my little farm bed, and couldn't be more comfortable. It's nice that I don't have to lift Tag up or down either. He can now safely get on and off the bed on his own.
      Thanks for leaving a note, hon. We'll catch up again soon.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. I love the white bed! I'm adjusting to getting into a higher bed, but it's comfy and I'm adjusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sunny:
      I love it, too. I gave the tall bed a fair shake for two years. I'm glad to be back in the farmhouse bed. I hope it works out for you. I don't know about you, but I'm gettin' too old to be moving furniture around all the time!
      Be well, my dear.
      Thanks for the note.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna