October 30, 2020

An Interesting Visitor...

Brynwood Needleworks - The Habitat
 
This is what "The Habitat" looks like on our property this year. This is where we take all our yard waste - grass clippings, fallen branches, and leaves - when we're working outdoors. After the new porch was built, I had to rethink the feeding station, as we didn't want the critters coming up onto the concrete. This seemed like a good alternative...away from the house, and of course, the dogs. 
 
Adding more clippings this year helped cover up the little tunnels and cubbies that the opossums and chipmunks seem to favor. I imagine them sleeping warm and dry when winter finally takes hold.

I added the covered feeder that the largest opossum, "Biggie" marked as his own last winter. I decided to raise it up on a small barrel planter to further keep the contents dry when the snows arrive.

I've been taking down birdseed that the bluejays and cardinals (and chipmunks) can enjoy now. I've also taken down a few treats to see whether or not the opossums were still coming around. (They are!)
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Late Night Visitor

Since turning the trail cam on again (and finding that I'm still having issues with the camera! grrrr), I've managed to capture three opossums (Biggie, Ralph and Squirt); two raccoons (although there may be more, only two come in at a time); and...this elusive visitor!

I have the date and time set on my camera. This young coyote was photographed once, and by the time a minute had passed for the next photo, it had left. Minutes later, the opossums were back in frame.

Last summer I was thrilled to catch a deer on the camera, and this year, a coyote. We heard them all summer, sometimes quite close, but in spite of the fact that I had the camera out, I never saw one on the camera...until now. Interesting was the fact that we never heard the pack that night. Just this curious loner stopping by.

I'm going to have to find out what's wrong with my camera, but I've still got it out because even a bad picture is better than nothing. I may need a new camera, and if that's the case, it sure won't be a Browning model again. (Remember all the grief this one gave me within the first month I had it? It was a gift from Handsome for Christmas, and was nothing but trouble. He was so upset! I finally got a new replacement from the company. Here we go again.)

For now, I'm going to download my images every day to see what other wondrous critters stop over for a visit. I'm like a kid, nearly giddy when I see each and every one of them. I'll be sure to share more as I capture new - or returning - faces.

DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. You are so kind to the animals.
    We also put seed & bread crusts out for the birds & squirrels.
    An interesting visitor, for sure.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I've come to appreciate the animals even more since we moved back to Wisconsin. I was fascinated by the bobcats and deer that used to visit our property in Florida, but I was also fearful (perhaps irrationally) about many of them, too. Amazingly, I'm not afraid of the creatures that I grew up with living around me. Does that make sense? I actually sat out in the woods last night, until well after dark, just to see if any of them would come to the feeder while I was there. (They didn't, and I started to get cold.) Maybe next time.
      Have a great weekend.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. If I lived in a country setting I would want one of those cameras too, but alas apartment life doesn't lend itself to it. I hope you can find one that works the way you want it to. Your habitat is such a blessing to the little critters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I left the camera out one more night. I'll bring it in Saturday morning and see what the images look like. (I'm kind of hoping it will just fix itself. lol)
      I'm so happy that the animals feel comfortable visiting. I'll continue to provide a safe haven for them, whether or not I get to take pictures.
      Have a restful weekend.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna