October 19, 2020

Generosity Abounds...

BBrynwood Needleworks - High Chair
 
Welcome to a new week. Handsome and I got a lot accomplished over the weekend. We cleaned up the yard, mowing and pulling weeds, cutting a few low apple tree branches, and adding the yard trimmings to The Habitat. 
 
Biggie and Squirt (two of last year's opossums) have already appeared on my trail cam, so I'm fortifying their hidey-holes in The Habitat before the weather gets bad. I've also found a little black cat living in the wood shed, so I moved a kitty sleeping tower (with snug compartments, covered by a nice warm towel) to make him or her more comfortable.

Then, on Saturday, I got a call from our lovely neighbor, Mary Jane. She had a treasure in her attic and wanted to know if I'd like it. It was the high chair that her husband used as a child. He's been gone a number of years, but she was sure this chair is older than the 1940s.

Brynwood Needleworks - Bella, Checking Out The High Chair

I told her I'd love to have it for the farmhouse, so I went and picked it up yesterday afternoon. It rained Saturday right after we finished mowing the yard, so yesterday was a much better day to move any furniture.

When I brought it into the house, Tag and Bella were both very curious. Carly wasn't interested in it at all.

Brynwood Needleworks - High Chair

There are a few "upgraded" parts on the chair. There are newer bolts on the hinge for the tray, replacing the originals, but the old belt/strap to hold a child in place is still on the leg of the chair. There's also so old bandage-type tape that was used to fortify one of the tray arms. I'll be investigating that to see about a suitable repair. I've got some good wood cleaner, so I'll definitely clean up the soil from being stored in the attic, and the wood will look good as new. 
 
It's actually quite petite, compared to modern high chairs. The highest point on the chair is probably only 33" or so. It is lovely, and I'm so grateful for the generosity of neighbors and friends. For now, I'm going to use this sweet chair as a plant stand for my vining phylodendron plant. I'll share more photos after I get it all spiffed up.

Have a great week, and remember, 
If you can't be with yours loved ones these days, please pick up the phone and call them.
I know they'll appreciate hearing your voice.
Stay healthy and safe.
xo
DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. A very nice treasure.
    Can't wait to see it all shined up.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I'll definitely shine it up, but I think it will be a winter project. I want to try to find original hardware and repair that one side of the tray. I'm going to be painting my kitchen china cabinet first. I can't wait to tackle that job! Of course, I'll share before and afters when I do!
      Have a great week.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Sweet treasure. Years ago I had a similar one and it had a custom fit enamel tray that sat inside the wood shape of the tray. My grandmother said they were made to protect the wood. It was navy blue and white. Keep your eyes peeled for that too. THe farmhouse is smiling at all these found treasures being shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene:
      I'll have to ask Mary Jane if this one had an enamel tray. I can't imagine I'd ever find one. I wonder how I could get one reproduced? hmmmmm Blue and white would be perfect with my china! I'll be asking around, for sure! Thanks for the information. I have to admit...I'm one lucky girl.
      Hugs,
      xo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna