June 30, 2020

It's Getting Colorful Now...

Brynwood Needleworks - Farmhouse Hollyhocks
 
I figured it would only take a few more warm days for the hollyhock buds to start opening. I guess yesterday was the day!
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Four Shades of Hollyhocks

There are at least four different colors in the garden...creamy yellow, light pink, dark pink, and magenta.

Brynwood Needleworks - Hummingird at Feeders

They're opening right next to the hummingbird feeders, and the hummers have noticed, too!
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Beautiful and Colorful
 
I've been asked for my secrets to growing these beauties. My answer is...I have no secrets. They thrive in spite of me. I planted five original plants right along the foundation. They're well-drained, and sheltered in a southern exposure. I did plant lavender, chives, and peppermint at the feet of my hollyhocks, so they may contribute to the bugs leaving them alone, but I'm not sure about that. I'm going to say that I think 75% of my success with the hollyhocks is just dumb luck...but I'm really grateful.

This corner of my life - right outside our door - hollyhocks that are nearly six feet tall, lavender, English daisies, Shasta daisies (for Mom), a lone delphinium (I must rectify that by getting more), and bee balm. I'm going to add more plants in the open spaces to appeal to the hummingbirds, honey bees, and butterflies. It only gets better from here.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. So pretty!
    They remind me of my Grandma. :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hollyhocks are beautiful Donna, they remind me of the pick hollyhocks that grew by in Mom's back door garden. Pleasant memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should give them another try. I have never tried to grow them at the house I am living in now. I tried to grow rhubarb at our old house and never had any luck and it seems to be thriving here. I have so many flowers blooming right now I am in awe. I have beds in the back yard I haven't even gotten to yet. Hollyhocks may go in one of those.
    I got out my water-bath canner today and put up four 12 ounce jars of peach butter. First time I have canned in a while with it.
    Thank you for all of your pictures, You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna