June 5, 2020

Farmhouse Flowers...

Brynwood Needleworks - Our Beautiful Bleeding Hearts
 
Every time I turn on the television, I'm bombarded with things that hurt my heart. We're actually a bit concerned about our upcoming cross country car trip to pick up Bella and her daughter. We're praying for peace and safety for everyone, and that things will have calmed down before we have to leave.

With the warmer Wisconsin weather, I've been spending more time outdoors. I walked around the yard to take pictures of some of the beautiful things that bless our daily lives. These bleeding hearts are a magnificent showpiece in our gardens, which we "inherited" when we purchased our home. It stands taller than waist-high on me, so it's at least three and a half feet tall, and nearly as wide. Lucky us!

Brynwood Needleworks - Kitchen Garden

I've been slowly reworking our kitchen garden, as it expanded when the new sidewalk went in with our porch project. I think I need to take another photograph to show you just how happy the newly-relocated hostas are doing (partially shown on the right side of the photo). They're getting huge! 

The chives (in bloom on the left), daisies (in the back corner), and the lavender are all coming on nicely, and I've planted basil in front of the birdbath. That's looking a bit sad, though, as something nibbled on those plants. I may need to get a plant or two that's already bigger if I want to start making pesto any time soon.

But look at my hollyhocks!! Those leaves are as big as the birdbath! These are all self-planted from the original plants I put in two summers ago. As I write this, the flower heads have already begun to peek out. I can't wait to show you what they look like when they're in bloom!
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Columbines, Lilies, and Iris
 
The other flowers along the fence line are beginning to bloom, too. I admit, I have a lot more weeding to do over there, but recently found out that my right knee is in worse condition than the one of Handsome's that required a replacement. It's a good thing it doesn't cause me pain, but it makes it difficult for me to kneel to weed the garden.  (That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!)
 
Even so, now that the flowers are up, it would be easy for me to tell grass from desirable plants. I guess I know what's on my agenda the next early morning after a nice overnight rain!

There is a crowned sparrow family living in that bluebird birdhouse, but at the other end of the fence, there is a bluebird couple feeding their babies, too. There's room for everyone here, so we can enjoy all of them.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Happy, Happy Rhubarb
 
One last photo for today...another mammoth planting...my two rhubarb plants. I've since removed the seed stems as I'm not ready to let them go yet this season. 
 
I have a doctor's appointment this morning, and then I'll either be in the kitchen (making hickory syrup) or in the studio (working on a couple of commissions). It's supposed to keep raining, but I'm not likely to make syrup if it's also hot. That can wait until the next mild day.
 
 Praying for Peace and Good Health To All.

DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. How refreshing to see your gorgeous flowers and plants. I agree this world is a scary place and I just want to stay home. However we have company coming mid June from New Hampshire and we pick them up at Las Vegas airport...fresh off the plane. Then the very next week hubby and I must fly to Texas on business. At least we have masks and hand sanitizer. Stay well and safe dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna your yard is so beautiful. Hickory syrup? I have never heard of it, but it sounds really good. Hope all went well at the doctors, take care and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna