June 17, 2020

Sharing A Little Wildlife Today...

Brynwood Needleworks - Two Young Squirrels

Now that the weather is nicer, I can sit outside on the front porch with my morning coffee. It's mostly quiet (if you don't count the noise from the machinery building new lanes on the highway about a half mile away), but if I focus on our own little farm property, I can block that out.

I'd rather concentrate on all the wonders around me. I filled all the bird feeders, and added peanuts and seeds at the base of the big, old maple tree in our front yard. Then I can sit and watch the birds and other critters that come out in the morning.

I was up early (for me) yesterday, and by 6:15 I was sitting outside with my coffee. There are two young squirrels that first appeared from their nest in the big maple about two weeks ago. They're getting bolder, and they're a hoot to watch as they chase each other in the tree, and then out onto the lawn.

Brynwood Needleworks - Squirrels Eating Peanuts

I'll just let you look at the photos and get a sense of the peace and quiet that I enjoy here in our dear, old farmhouse.

Brynwood Needleworks - Baby Squirrels
 
Last night, before bed, I heard a ruckus in the side yard. I shone a light on the feeders to see a mama raccoon and her three kids, trying to reach a feeder I've mounted (higher) on the side of the Compass Barn. I cracked up watching them, and listening to the little kids crabbing and fussing with each other. They were looking for a meal, and this was just out of their reach.

I'll try to get photos of them on the trail cam, which I'll set up tonight. Fingers crossed that I can get some images to share with you. Such is life at our beautiful Hickory Hill Farm.

DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. So peaceful & beautiful.
    We put peanuts out on our balcony for the Blue Jays & Cardinals, the Chickadees also like them & try their hardest at trying to open them, so I break up pieces for them, they are just too cute.
    Those Raccoons are strong.
    One of them actually bent 1 of our Shepherd's hooks one time trying to get the bird food, & you know how strong those hooks are!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idyllic surroundings Donna. I have woken up several mornings lately to a wren singing away in the tree outside our window. Haven't been able to spot it yet but I hope I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sitting outside in the evening and listen to the birds sing, their song always changes before bedtime. We have only a couple squirrels, but I too love their antics as they try to get to the feeders. They're so comical. Enjoy the rest of your day Donna! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marilyn:
    Strong, indeed! They really are rascals. The yearling gang has been hanging around, and now I find that one of the year old girls has had babies of her own, who she's brought to the farm in search of food. They pirate my feeders, so I try to put out a little extra for them at night.
    Thanks for the note!
    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Magpie:
    I love the little wrens, but man, are they loud! lol I've had a birdhouse for our visitors each year, but the spring winds were so strong that I had to take it down. Even so, Jenny Wren lives in the trees and sings to her heart's content every day. She's delightful.
    You'll love seeing yours. They're tiny and sweet.
    Thanks for the note!
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laurie:
    I love the evening sounds, too. I just have to stay indoors at twilight, because the mosquitoes love my O neg blood type! Squirrels are really clowns, and I'm glad you enjoy watching them, too.

    Thanks for the note!
    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna