June 12, 2020

Hummingbird Haven...

Brynwood Needleworks - Five of Seven Hummers
 
September, 2020 will mark the fourth anniversary of us owning Hickory Hill Farm. Since 2017, I have been putting out hummingbird feeders with homemade nectar. That first year, I put out six feeders, and changed out the nectar every week. We had two hummingbirds visit them.

This year, I've put out three feeders, all in close proximity. Until Wednesday night, I'd seen four hummingbirds, who flittered in and out of the "feeding zone" outside our kitchen windows. If you're a hummingbird watcher/feeder, you know that they can often be little bullies, chasing each other off the feeders, but usually, they manage to co-exist when there are multiple places to eat.

On Wednesday, we were watching the skies as storms started rolling in. We knew they were going to bring a lot of wind and rain. You can imagine my sheer delight, as I watched not four, not five, or even six, but seven little hummingbirds come in together to fill their bellies before the storm!

Handsome (who you may remember is a retired professional photographer) challenged me to catch all of them in one image. Of course, I'm not one to shy away from a challenge, but sadly, I only managed to capture five at one time before the rains dispersed them.

Brynwood Needleworks - Five, Coming In For Food

In my feeble defense, those little bugs are fast! Not only were they concentrating on getting to the feeders (this one seemed to be their favorite), but they also were trying to chase off the others. They also went up to the two feeders I have hanging in the soffit near the main porch entry.

Brynwood Needleworks - Hungry Hummers

Only now, as I edited and am writing this post, do I realize that all the hummingbirds in these images are females (ruby-throated females). The boys must have been the other two zipping in and out of frame - and eating at the upper feeders. Their harems were content to sit at the same buffet.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Busy Little Bugs
 
I can't tell you how delighted I was to even see all of them at the feeders! Catching this many together in my photographs was pure serendipity (and a lot of luck). I've been watching the feeders ever since, hoping to get another chance to capture more multiples. You'll notice the empty hook. I think I'll add one more feeder, and maybe increase my chances. 

By the way, for those of you who might be interested...I make my own nectar, so I thought I'd share the recipe I use. 
 
Hummingbird Nectar
 
Let me say that the old recommendations were to use a 4:1 ration of water to sugar. Research showed that the calculation being used didn't take into consideration that the sugar was a solid, not an equal composition to the water. When the difference was recalculated, it was determined that a 3:1 ratio of water to sugar more closely replicated the nectar produced by flowers. That's the ratio I use when making my nectar.
 
In a saucepan, combine: 
3 c. spring water 
1 c. pure cane sugar. (MUST be cane sugar. If it's not marked "pure cane sugar", it's likely made from beets, which makes hummers sick. I don't skimp on the price of the sugar, so I do pay more for pure cane sugar

Stir together and bring the mixture to a boil to remove any bacteria. Remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature before filling the feeders. (I actually put the pan containing the nectar into a sink, filled with cold water to bring down the temperature of the nectar.)

Any nectar left over after filling your feeders can be kept in the refrigerator. Bring to room temp. before filling feeders.

***I empty and clean the feeders once a week unless it's really hot outside, and then I do it more often. Otherwise, the feeders can develop mold, which can kill hummingbirds. As you can see, I don't use any dyes in my nectar. It's not necessary.

I also plant hummingbird, butterfly, and bee-friendly plants, but my feeders stay out to augment what they can eat from my flowers. I also have a small (I mean tiny - it's a little dish used for soy sauce) dish that I place in my birdbath to fill with grape jelly. Not only will the bees eat from it, but I've seen the hummers tasting it, too. 
 
My birdbath has one section of clear glass stones to help the bees and butterflies get a drink of water without drowning. I also clean out my birdbaths as needed, and on especially hot days, I add ice to help keep the water cool. Getting a solar fountain is on my wish list, so they have moving water.

I thought I'd share that information, because I think everything contributes to what attracts the hummingbirds to our yard. I'll continue to install plants that will help draw them to the gardens. These are just a few of the aspects of our home that make it a true haven for us.

DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. Great pics of the little gals.
    We have 3 feeders out, but they still chase each other away.
    We think they like rain because they seem to come out more often when it rains.
    How do you tell males from females, they are so quick.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information about the sugar. I have been making my own nectar for several years, but did not know that pure cane sugar was necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna! I love hummingbirds also, and make my own nectar as you do. I've never seen more than 3 in my yard, though last year I only saw one. They really bring so much enjoyment don't they!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love hummingbirds and fill my feeder with the 3:1 nectar I boil and cool. We have never had more than 1 feed at aa time. We also got to watch Mama Hummer build her nest and raise her two baby hummers. What a JOY they all are.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna