May 4, 2018

The Lady Killer...

Five Months Old and Irresistable

The ladies don't stand a chance. Seriously. Who could resist that smile?

I spent yesterday afternoon with this sweetheart and his grandma. We went shopping together, and I had the honor of pushing his cart. He's such a sweet, little prince. Every time I looked at him, he smiled for me. It was hard to hand him back to his grandma, but I did. I know I'll see him again soon.

Audubon Society Image - Tree Swallows

Once I was back home, I paid some attention to our avian visitors. A beautiful pair of tree swallows have taken up residence in one of the three bluebird houses we have here at the farm. As far as I can tell, the other two are still vacant - even though I've already seen bluebirds this spring. (I've also put out the wren house - hoping the sweet singer who lived there last year returns, and four other houses for whoever needs free digs. There's a little something for everyone.)

Anyway, I had to look up this duo, and I went through my bird guides until I found them. Now that I know their backs are this beautiful blue, I understand why I had a hard time settling on the fact that they weren't bluebirds. Just about the time I was sure I was seeing the telltale "bluebird blue", I noticed that they flew differently and their tails were not the right shape. (I really need a good pair of binoculars!) I thought they looked like swallows, but that blue threw me off. Now I understand why.

Sonoma County Bird Watching Spots Image - White-Crowned Sparrow
 
We also had half a dozen or so of these little sweethearts visiting yesterday. They were checking out our seed feeders. They sent me on a real literary hunt. Their body coloring looked like sparrows, but the head markings are completely different. I went back and forth between two bird guides and looking at the actual birds until I knew I'd found them.

These birds aren't indigenous to our area. They're simply passing through, although it would be nice if they stayed a while. By dinnertime, it was raining hard. I hope they decided to shelter near the farm, so I can photograph them before they move on.

I decided to take a day away from the studio after completing the project I shared in yesterday's post. My eyes needed a rest (seriously). I'm planning to go to a grand reopening of a local antique shop, but if it keeps raining, I'll just stay home. I do have more orders to fill, so I can prep even if I don't stitch. We'll see (no pun intended).
 
Speaking of puns...one more thing before I go today
This is for all my Star Wars friends...
"May the 4th be with you." 
giggle 


DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. I love your birds and how glorious they are visiting you and enjoying your room and board. That is the cutest smiling baby ever! Enjoy your day of resting your eyes dear. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna