May 28, 2018

Memorial Day - Resting and Reflecting...

"Tribute to Betsy" Flag Blocks

I began blocks for the "Tribute To Betsy" flag quilt by Em and Me Designs on Friday. I had hoped to have the quilt top finished by this morning, but it was hot yesterday and I didn't want to fire up my machine in my un-air conditioned farmhouse studio. (I'm not complaining. There's always a breeze here at the farm, and it keeps the house cool enough. I just didn't want to add heat upstairs.)

The twenty four blocks are now complete and squared, so I'll cut the sashing and borders first. After those are cut, I'll assess whether or not I'll turn on the machines and sew, too. I'd really like to get it assembled today, so I'm leaning toward sewing.

Kitchen Garden Finished

We completed our kitchen garden yesterday, too. We got up early to do the mulching before the sun was shining down on the garden. We did pretty well, too!

I'd love to think that I might someday look like Tasha Tudor, working barefoot in the gardens, but the reality is that the only similarity is my bare feet. Gardening is a pretty unglamorous pursuit for me (especially when my hair is at this awkward stage). I have to tie it out of my face, and well, you get the picture. I have a decision to make before my hair appointment tomorrow (go short or keep growing).

Anyway, I digress...We're really proud of our hard work, as we watched last year's planting emerge, and then, added more to compliment what's already there. We weeded, cleaned up, planted and mulched. Now, we'll just make sure it's all watered in every day, until it rains and Mother Nature takes over for us.

Farmhouse Kitchen Garden

On this end, I have new sweet basil plants, cilantro (that's decided to spread since last year!), mint, chives, silver thyme, and rosemary. Four of the five hostas re-emerged and are already doubled in size, I added a red Dianthus in the opening left by the fifth hosta, creeping phlox along the front, and lots of English lavender. I also planted three shasta daisies around the bird bath in the corner (Mom Grace's favorite flowers), and hollyhocks and delphiniums along the back wall.

We put down newsprint to hold back the weeds, and then generously covered it with the mulch. I've left room around all the plants so they can get nice and full, too.

I have plans for the grassy area to the right of this garden, too. We're going to pull the cracked slab in front of our "friends and family" entrance, and then have it repoured, along with a walkway in front of this garden to meet up with the orphaned sidewalk in front of the porch.

Once that's done, we'll add a section of garden across from this one. I'm still planning, but think there will be an ornamental tree and more herbs and flowers installed. We'll probably do all of that next spring. For now, I'm going to sit back and admire the fruits of our labor.

Soon, we'll be able to begin harvesting some of the herbs. I'll be making pesto and lavender jelly to share with family and friends. We already have fresh mint to add to our lemonades, and the fresh herbs will be a nice addition to our grilling and fresh vegetables. All our hard work will be well worth every minute.

Web image

As you go about your day today, spending time with family and friends (or just doing something you love), please take time to remember and honor the sacrifices of those who gave their all for the freedoms we enjoy.

 Memorial Day. We will not forget...

DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. All American Glory...your labors and your love of Hickory Hill Farm and family and friends. Enjoy it all dear...<3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna