May 26, 2018

Our Farmhouse - Master Bedroom...

Master Bed and Quilt Wall

I have more than a few quilts I love, and I've been trying to think of ways to display them here at the farmhouse. We have two beds (three, once the attic space is finished), so that takes care of two quilts. I also use them as table covers, but I recently came up with another idea.

During the winter, I noticed how cold our exterior walls were. I'm sure that, at some point, we'll reinsulate the house, but for now, I'm going to use quilts!
 
Master Bedroom Quilt Wall
 
This picture shows two of my very first quilts. The one on the bed is a chenille four-patch, that is the snuggliest and most comfy nap quilt. I love the colors, and that alone was what tempted me to purchase the kit. After carting the kit around for a couple of years, I finally assembled and quilted it in 2004. It's definitely one of my favorites.
 
The quilt I chose for the wall is made using the original Moda "Seaside Rose" fabric line. I made it in 2005. I love the colors in this quilt, and it goes perfectly with the paint colors, not only in the master bedroom, but throughout the entire farmhouse. It's also light and airy for summer, and it's a bonus that it will help insulate the room.
 
Of course, the use of a long rod hanging from two hooks gives me the option to switch out the quilt according to seasons, or just on a whim. The bed is much too big and heavy to move around, but changing out a quilt will give the room a new look whenever I want. I'm quite happy with this one, and will likely keep it like this for a long time.
 
 
I was working in the garden again yesterday. I have one more day of work left, and then I can show you finished pictures. I'm going to put down newsprint and then cover it with mulch, as recommended in my gardening books. Weeds won't come up through the newsprint, and the plants love whatever is in the newsprint as it deteriorates. Cool, right? I did get additional plants and can't wait to show you what it looks like now!! Soon, I promise.

DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful solution to enjoying your quilts and keeping a layer of warmth in the house. Great idea and your quilts are gorgeous. Gardening can really soothe the soul. Lovely weekend dear. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bedroom is beautiful! I love the idea for the insulation. When you're cold, you get creative. I lived in an older house growing up. My mom would use lot of newspapers to insulate the windows especially on the bottom. They really helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I may "borrow" this idea some day :-)

    Love your bedroom! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna