August 26, 2024

What A Weekend...

I was a busy beaver on Saturday. I started my bread dough so that I could get the loaves made before the heat wave that began on Sunday. Then, I progressed to my concurrent project...

...canning a batch of pears. Approximately twelve pounds yielded these beautiful seven pints. Andy and Shelly's tree was extremely prolific this year, being so full of pears that it threatened to break branches. I know my limits, so when offered, I took what I knew I could can in one session.

Neighbors and family came to harvest much of it, but I also picked another two boxes for my niece, Stephanie and her daughter-in-law (who wants to learn how to can from her MIL). I planned to take them to great-nephew, Ethan's daughter's Birthday party yesterday but fate had other plans. I did manage to hand the boxes off to our nephew, Dan who would make sure they got to his Ethan's wife (the DIL). Stephanie and E's wife will take it from there.

So, you wondering what "fate" was up to? It was kind of scary...


After baking and canning, dinner got a late start on Saturday. I decided to do burgers on the grill, as I'd just finished baking rolls along with the bread. I went outside to put them on the grill and then came back into the house.

Handsome was having a cognitive episode similar to the one he had mid-August that necessitated his brain surgery. After a very few minutes of assessment, I grabbed my wallet, Handsome's hand, and we drove back to Sheboygan Hospital's emergency facility.

Again, they immediately got him situated in a room and did their evaluation. He seemed to have resolved, but they did a CAT scan anyway. Results: Nothing abnormal that they could see. Even so, they wanted to continue monitoring him, given his medical history. The doctor said to call him back into the room should anything change.

We were just talking together and Handsome seemed fine, but suddenly, he was searching for words again. I went into the hall and the nurse called the doctor back into our room. He started asking Handsome questions, and the words came out all jumbled. He was having trouble complying with requests like "raise your legs", and can you say "no way, no how". He was definitely having a problem. The doctor ordered another CAT scan, but this time with contrast. Results: Still nothing jumped out at them.

The doctor decided that Handsome should stay under observation overnight, so he was admitted into the hospital. He'd be seen by a neurologist Sunday morning, so I kissed my heartbeat goodnight and drove home. I arrived back at Hickory Hill after midnight.

I went back to the hospital Sunday morning to find the neurologist ordered an MRI, and the results were already back. He has another brain bleed, and Saturday night he was having a series of TIAs - mini strokes - which had caused his alarming behavior.

By 6:30 pm, he was being transported by ambulance back down to Milwaukee to St. Luke's Hospital. The Head of Neurology is his doctor and will be performing another surgery for Handsome this week. They'll decide when he's going to have said surgery this morning, so I won't know when I have to go back to Milwaukee until I get word. I'll go down for the surgery (of course) and our younger son has offered to come up to get me, and then drive me to the hospital as he's well-aware of my disdain for the drive. Other than surgery day, both sons will visit Handsome in Milwaukee in my stead. We'll likely all be there together for his operation.

So, it's no surprise I didn't make it to the party, and I never got the chance to finish my great-great niece's gift. It's something I've designed myself. I'll show you my design tomorrow, and hope to sew more on it today, barring an immediate surgical procedure. I'll mail it when it's done. Don't all five year olds love getting mail?

I think you can already guess my fervent request. If you're so moved, I'd deeply appreciate prayers for my beloved. My faith is holding me together right now. I know every prayer is heard, and I'll continue to update you on his progress. Here we go again...

11 comments:

  1. Prayers for you and Handsome for a safe surgery and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Donna, I was wondering if something was weighing on you, with the verse you posted yesterday. Most certainly will pray...wisdom for the doctors, comfort and healing for Handsome, strength and peace for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm. the pears & breads look delicious.
    I'm so sorry to hear about handsome.
    Continued prayers & positive thoughts.
    Take care.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course there will be prayers for your dear Handsome - and for you. You both will be in my thoughts for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Donna! This new development is very concerning. Yes, you and Handsome will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots and lots of prayers for you and Handsome. Prayers for the doctors steady hands in surgery and for all the staff caring for him. Blessed Be. Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a scary weekend! You and Handsome will be in my prayers. Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry of createology: Prayers and Love and Care for Handsome and for You Dear and all the family. This is a very trying time and I know you will be strong and praying each moment. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Donna, Thinking of you and Handsome and sending prayers for both of you...hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Donna, this is like deja vu for me (and for you also).
    My prayers have never stopped for both of you since the first episode.
    You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
    BTW, the bread and pears look fabulous.
    And that is a wonderful picture of Handsome.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura jane.. prayers for Handsome Donna.Hes in good hands,wishing him a speedy recovery.Take care,rest while you can. Love as always Laura x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna