August 16, 2024

And Still It Waits...

All the "busy-ness" of this week, and I still haven't picked up my Strawberry Sachet Project to complete the embroidery. I'm hoping to get to it soon, so I'll avoid making promises I apparently can't keep.

My boss has been frustrated to tears that the young people she's hired have disappointed her so much lately. No calls. No real explanations. They just don't show up at all, and then come back to work a few days later like nothing happened. Because we're short-staffed, they feel invincible. They don't even consider that someone else has to step up to fill their hours, and it's usually my boss, who ends up pulling two or three shifts in a row. She's exhausted.

She found out that one of the kids is just skipping out on their hours today, so after talking with her, I agreed to respond to her plea by agreeing to work 4-10 pm to cover a shift. She's so grateful, and as a result, she's informed the offenders that the next time they just don't show up when they're scheduled, they'll be terminated. At least that way, she knows which shifts need to be filled ahead of time, instead of last minute.

How is it that today's young employees are so irresponsible? I would never have dreamed of just blowing off my work schedule when I was their age. (I know I wouldn't have gotten away with it either.) It puts all the other employees on the spot, and they're not even considering how it affects their coworkers. They don't care. 

Well, I've blown off a little steam on behalf of my boss (who I've known since she was about seven). I called her after she put out the request for a volunteer, and listened to her cry in frustration. Truthfully, I wanted to take someone out behind the wood shed!

So, I'll get home tasks done during the day today, and work my extended shift tonight. Craft Day is tomorrow, but I already know I won't make it.  That's a disappointment, but I know my limitations, so I won't try getting up extra early to drive over and back. I'm going to hang out here and maybe I'll get some stitching done. Either way, I know I'm doing something good for someone I really love. That's good enough for me.

7 comments:

  1. You are so kind to make up for irresponsible people.
    That's how the younger generation is now, they don't care about anything/anyone & have no respect, even though I hate to say it.
    We see it in our Grandkids, no respect or discipline.
    Please get some rest after your shift.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Turns out the young man showed up for work after all. I only had to stay until about 7:30 because my boss didn't have to work in the kitchen. I know what you mean, though, and every adult business owner with talk with has had the same experiences. It's so frustrating!
      Happy Weekend!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. You echo what our son (the chef) says about kitchen staff. They get hired, hopefully get trained, and then they just don't bother to show up so he ends up filling their shifts. He's not as forgiving as your boss though - you don't show up and don't call to say why and you're immediately terminated. It's killing him too because he ends up working from 9 in the morning til 2 am for days on end just to keep the restaurant open. Where is the pride in your job gone - work ethics are entirely out the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      From the conversations we've had with other adults, apparently Cov!d taught lots of them the joys of sitting home, playing video games. We never would have dreamed of being so lazy. ugh
      Happy Weekend!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. Our son says the terrible work ethic was going on (at least in his industry) long before Covid hit. Good thing we instilled a good one in him, but sadly I think it's going to send him to an early grave if he keeps this up.

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: Hubby and I have been frustrated so many times because work ethic seems to be lost. Hiring helpers and they don’t call or show up. Donna you are such a luv to help your boss (and friend). You are wise not to overdo yourself while covering for others. I hope you are able to relax and stitch. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I actually got some needlework in today before changing to go to work. When I got there, I found out that Mr. Wonderful (the errant employee) was actually going to show up. He was also in for a good lecture from my friend. Any more shenanigans and he's fired. Period. Turns out, because he showed up, my boss said I could go home just a half hour past my usual time, so getting home early allows me to rest and then go to Craft Day! Win/Win
      Happy Weekend!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna