August 27, 2024

Handsome Update...


Handsome called me from the hospital Sunday night to tell me he might have surgery on Tuesday. We didn't yet know what time. I then got a call first thing yesterday telling me he was scheduled for noon. I immediately called Son #2, who'd volunteered to come to the farmhouse to get me to go to Milwaukee. He answered the call and we were both in Handsome's room by 10:15 am.

It took longer than expected to take him into the operating room, but they took him in at about 1:30, and he was back in his room three and half hours later. The surgery was a success (thanks for all those prayers!), and the surgeon was very happy with the success of the proceedure.

What we learned was that he had two brain bleeds, and they blocked both of the sources. We're hopeful that the residual blood will be absorbed back into his brain. He was speaking and reacting normally. No facial sagging or blindness, which could have both been side effects. (again, thanks for all those prayers!)

He won't be allowed to drive for at least three months, and he'll be on anti-seizure medicines for a couple weeks. Then he'll be off them to see if he has any more episodes. They believe he was having brain seizures, rather than mini strokes (TIAs). We'll hope whatever they are, they don't happen again. Time will tell.

As usual, I'm writing this before midnight of the day it will post. Son #2 brought me home around 9 pm, and he didn't get back to his family until closer two 10 pm. We're both understandably tired, so I'll close for now. Thank you again for your comments yesterday. I'll answer them all later today.

I'll know by mid-morning whether or not they'll discharge Handsome today, but truthfully, I hope he stays an extra day, just to be safe. Either way, when he's ready to come home, I'll happily go to get him. I'm heading to bed now. By the time most of you read this Tuesday morning, I'll just be finding out how my day will proceed.

My boss told me not to worry about work today. She's personally taking my shift so I can concentrate on family matters. I'm so grateful for the people at work, and especially for her. I'll rest easy now.

16 comments:

  1. I;m glad to hear the surgery went well.
    Continued prayers & positive thoughts for Handsome.
    Try & get some rest.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marilyn:
      Thank you so much. Prayers are deeply appreciated. I'm resting as I'm able. My tired is mostly emotionally spent. I'm sure you understand, my friend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. That's such great news, Donna!!! Continued prayers for you, Handsome and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Wanda. Prayers appreciated.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. So glad to read this surgery is done, went well, and is behind you! Continued prayers for healing and wisdom/insight for the doctors to get ahead of what's caused this. I know it is scary, but rest assured knowing that God knows all about this and is with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      We're happy about that, too, and really hope this works.I trust that he's in God's hands and all will be well, dear. Thank you.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Prayers for healing for Handsome and for you too. - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathy. Prayers are deeply appreciated.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how Handsome is doing. So relieved to hear that the surgery went well and that the doctor is pleased. Prayers will continue for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear MA. Continued prayers are deeply appreciated.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Please ask them to keep Handsome another day. If you explain how far away you are and need a driver they should do it. I have done this with my dear love. 💕 prayers continued for you, Handsome, and your family and friends. Blessing to your boss as well. Thank you for the update. Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bobbi:
      He did stay today. Tomorrow is still up in the air. He's awfully groggy, so it's okay with me that he stays in their care until we're sure he's ready to come home. Prayers are deeply appreciated. Thank you, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  7. So thankfully that the surgery went well. I do hope the hospital keeps him as long as he needs instead of sending him home too early. Rest while you can so you’ll be ready when Handsome comes home. Still praying for y’all. Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Andrea:
      We are, too. He's still in the hospital, and I think they're being extra cautious. I'm glad about that. I spent the day "mostly" resting. Prayers are so very much appreciated.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  8. This is such a great update. I'm so relieved to hear all went well.
    His medical team is really on top of the situation.
    On a lighter note, when I read you last sentence 'I'll rest easy now' first thing I
    thought was, liar, liar pants on fire.
    Many more good thoughts and prayers going your way.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Shirley:
      It really did go well. We had a great surgeon, and he was very thorough explaining the procedure and answering all our questions. As for that last sentence..You're completely right. I tried to rest and then thought, "Well, maybe I should do this before he comes home." I did nap for a little bit, but the phone rang. It wasn't nearly long enough. Thanks for the continued prayers.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna