August 31, 2024

Getting Back To The Studio...

Now, I can finally focus on my great-great niece's Birthday gift. Talk about an "extended Birthday"! I'm teaching this young lady the concept without even planning for it! lol

So, I thought you might like to see the process for this project. I began with paper and pencil, drawing out my idea for the little shoulder bag I'm going to make for her. I'll be using cork fabric for this project, and of course, I have all the colors in stock to tackle this bag.

I decided this puppy face should have a spot around his/her eye like the old Spanky and Our Gang pup. Then, I thought, "Well, wouldn't it be cute if its tongue was hanging out, too?". Sure it would!

I haven't decided on all the colors yet, but I'm leaning toward natural for the main body, Rust for the spot and ears, black for the eyes and a red tongue. I'll add the muzzle and eye highlights by machine.


When I thought about the back of the bag, what could be more appropriate than to add a fluffy tail? hee hee  My drawings have extra lines and the shape is a bit wonky, but I'll even that all up when I draw the final pattern prior to cutting. 

I'll add a 1/4" seam allowance, and this bag will have a 1" gusset all the way around. It will have a top zipper, rings and a rolled shoulder strap so my niece can wear it as a shoulder or cross body bag.

What do you think so far? I'll take photos of my cutting and sewing as I go, and who knows? Maybe I'll turn it into a pattern for others to make their own, too.

Handsome is doing really well, and so glad to be back home. (So are we!) I'll make sure he rests through the holiday weekend, but I'll be sewing, canning applesauce, and picking up more tomatoes and peppers to do more canning. I'm happiest when my husband is near by, and I'm busy.  This plan should serve me well.

I hope you have a great weekend. Stop by to see what I've accomplished, or just catch up after the holidays. I'll be here when you get time.

6 comments:

  1. The purse is going to be so sweet and I know she'll love it.
    Very glad Handsome is doing well and getting lots of rest and TLC. We went to the market this morning and pretty much cleaned out one vendor's supply of zucchini. We should have enough to make two batches of relish and some for in the freezer for muffins over the winter. There might be a pan or two or zucchini lasagna too. It will wait for the weather to cool down on Monday for us to attempt that in our tiny kitchen that's like an oven at the best of times. Oh, and we got a basket of plums to make some jam too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Thanks!
      Your "haul" sounds wonderful! I've also sliced and deep fried the zucchini, treating it like eggplant parmesan with marinara. (I'm not fond of eggplant, so I substitute). You'll fill the house with wonderful aromas over the winter! Plums? YUM!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Sherryofcreateology: So cute! I envy your drawing skills. This purse reminds me of a puppy purse I made years (decades) ago for my little nieces and daughter. Grateful for Handsome to be home and getting lots of TLC. We hope to have a quiet holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Now I just have to see if my sewing meets up with my vision. lol Thanks for the thoughts about Handsome. I'm so glad he's back home. It will definitely be quiet around here.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. That is going to be a cute bag!'
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I hope so. I think I'm a bit hesitant to start, fearing my skill doesn't match my vision. We'll have to wait and see. lol Happy Weekend, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna