August 14, 2024

Fresh Veg From a Co-worker...

All the hard work of Wisconsin gardeners is now bearing fruit. When I went to work yesterday, this beautiful bounty was waiting. On Tuesdays, I work with only one other person - Teresa - and we really work well together. She works in the kitchen, and I work in front as a cashier. Our days go fast, too, busy with sales or fuel, grocery, or freshly made food. With only two, we're really hopping most days.

She and I have a wonderful barter arrangement, too. I've shared canned or baked goods, and sometimes help her with sewing requests (machine embroidering her name on her work shirts, or sewing on a loose button. In return, she shares empty canning jars by the dozens, venison (which I love but don't harvest), or now, these beautiful vegetables from her garden. (There was another green pepper, but I used it to make grilled chicken sandwiches with sauteéd onions and peppers on my homemade buns last night.) We also buy her hens' beautiful farm-fresh eggs.

Our garden is small this year due to health circumstances. We have six tomato plants that are bearing fruit, but it's not ripening (yet). The squash I planted is doing really well, as are my basil plants, but overall, the garden won't be producing nearly as much this year. 

Handsome and I have talked about what we want to can this season, but most of the raw materials will come from farmers markets, local farmers and friends. Thanks to Teresa, we have some lovely, organic vegetables to enjoy for meals until we purchase what we need for our canning needs.

In the spirit of bartering, Teresa won't take any money, so I'm going to come up with something nice for her. I'll have to put on my thinking cap to make it extra special.

6 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you can trade goodies.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I agree. Sharing our strengths is always the best!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Barter systems are wonderful! I'm sure she is happy to have someone to help her eat the bounty from her garden. Our tomatoes (mainly cherry ones) are just about done already. Usually we have them well into September but we'll be lucky to have any left to ripen by then. Hope that's not a harbinger of an early season-that-shall-not-be-named!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I went out to my "garden" this morning and some of my tomatoes are finally starting to ripen. It was nice to spend a little time giving them some attention. I'm so grateful that Teresa shared their bounty. It's always appreciated. I'm hoping for a lonnnnng Autumn, by the way.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Sherry of createology: The good old barter system is back for the farmers and homesteaders that my daughter is now part of. It really helps with the lack of cash in this recession time. I know you will come up with something very special for Theresa. You might check your inventory dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I couldn't agree more. I've been getting raw milk from a local farmer. (It's delicious, by the way) He won't take any payment from me, so I try to always take something I've made or something he'll like in return...brownie mixes, fresh bread, etc. We both appreciate it. I know just what I'm taking for Teresa...see Thursday's post for the reveal.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna