August 15, 2024

Rendering Day...


Look at all these jars of golden goodness! There were thirty two jars on my outdoor counter that cooled overnight last night. Wondering what it is? Well...

On may latest trip up the road to our local butcher shop, I inquired as to whether it would be possible for me to purchase beef fat by the pound to render into our own tallow. They told me I could, but they had just ground all of theirs, so they took my phone number and name and said they'd call when they had the twenty pounds I requested.

The call came yesterday morning, so Handsome ran the two miles or so to the shop and picked it up. I knew how I'd be spending a significant portion of the rest of my day.

When he got home, we immediately set about cutting and trimming any impurities from the fat - which had the consistency of soap, and felt like cream. It was them cut into 1-2" cubes and tossed into our two Nesco™ roasters. As some people may not like the appearance of twenty pounds of fresh beef fat, I'll share the cooking process, but not the cutting part.

Handsome and I had set them up in the area I set up in our large pole barn to use as a summer kitchen area. After setting them at 350ยบ each, we went inside and did cleanup. It was nice not to have the house filled with the aroma of melting beef fat, even though it's not unpleasant. Plus, it was in the 80s today, so we didn't have to turn on the oven either. Bonus.

For price comparison, twenty pounds of beef fat cost $15.00. I used all but about a pound because the roasters were completely full. I could have added it after things started to cook down, but I was over cutting fat by then. It can wait until next time. I think thirty two pints of tallow for $15.00 is a pretty good deal. My wide mouth jars were free, so I needn't consider them in the cost. When I checked the price for Crisco shortening online, it was listed at $3.92 for a one pound can. That means these thirty two jars could have cost $78.40!!!

 
After an hour, this is what it was looking like in the roaster. The liquid fat was being separated from the fat, and there was already a significant amount of liquid to be jarred.

As I said in the beginning, we ended up with 32 pint jars of beautiful beef oil and will harden into white deliciousness. I'll use this in the place of nut oils like Crisco in oil or shortening form. This is actually much healthier and foods cooked in the tallow taste much better, too. Did you know that McDonald's fries were originally cooked in beef tallow? Yep. Do you remember how they always had the best fries? Not anymore. The best fries are right here at home!

I haven't gone out to the barn yet this morning, but I know all the oil will have cooled and will be ready to wipe the jars with vinegar, put them into the trays that previously held the empty jars, and these will be stored in the basement. I'm saving space in the pantry for stewed tomatoes and applesauce!

I've been telling Teresa about how I render beef fat into tallow and she's been intrigued. I'm taking a jar of it to work for her tomorrow. I'm taking one for my boss, too. I know they'll both appreciate it. 

4 comments:

  1. You are always busy!
    What a cost cutter project.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      Sometimes, I have so many irons in the fire, I don't know where to start. sigh I do know this task was well worth the effort.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Have to admit this is a first for me! I didn't have a clue what you planned to use it for (should have figured it out on my own) so I'm glad you clarified that (hah, get the play on words there?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      Thanks for the giggle. Be glad I didn't share photos of the big plastic bag filled with the slabs of fat! lol
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna