August 29, 2024

Happy Dance...

I needed to run to the store to pick up a few things late afternoon. I'd been hearing them fly over the farmhouse all day, but never expected to see them all herded up in a nearby field. There were over sixty of them. From a distance, sandhill cranes can look like deer when their heads are down, but once they stand straight, there's no mistaking them.

It's God's way of reminding us that time moves along. It's nearly time for them to migrate south again. We used to see them all the time in Florida. We've also seen them in the Dakotas when they gathered by the thousands to migrate from those states toward Mexico and "on". You can't even imagine the ruckus they make when they all start calling and dancing at the same time. It's quite a sight to behold. I'll miss them.


I learned yesterday that Handsome will be released to come home today. As I won't know exactly when until he calls, I figured I'd make a little treat for him. Nothing like a little baking to weasel a bit further into his heart.

Tomorrow I'll share my drawing of the little handbag I'm working on. I still have a lot to do until it's finished, but at least now I'll be able to concentrate of the task. Thanks again for all your prayers. I'll see you tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Today I was so craving a good chocolate chip cookie. So hard to find and a cookie baker I am not. This cookie picture makes me want to jump in there and eat them all! Hugs and love from Phoenix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene:
      I wish I could send a whole batch to you, but I don't think they'd safely make the trip. boo!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Awesome! We love to watch migration here by the Marsh.
    We had massive amount of Gulls circling around the other day, ready to migrate.
    Then, I opened the blinds the other day & saw a rafter of Turkeys, 16 to be exact!
    4 adults & 12 babies! It was awesome.
    Glad Handsome comes home today.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      During my service on the Wisconsin Conservation Congress, Horicon Marsh was officially designated as a "wetland of international importance". So many birds stop at the marsh during their annual migrations, and they're quite the sight to behold. I remember parking on one of my forays on 49 to watch the pelicans, snow geese, and swans. It's an impressive, magical, and valuable place. You're fortunate to live to close.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. So happy to hear that Handsome is coming home to enjoy all the TLC you have to give him. Starting with cookies!
    Loved seeing the cranes - we have them here sometimes as they migrate through but never have I been in the right place at the right time WITH a camera to record the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      He knew there were cookies and immediately dug in when we walked in the back door. I actually think he must have dreamed about them last night. lol Sometimes it's a blessing to just commit a vision to memory. I currently have 32,000!!!! photos on my phone. It's going to be a major task to offload the extraneous ones. sigh
      Happy Weekend, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna