October 12, 2023

Putting Our Garden To Bed...

 
Man, we worked yesterday. We were outside for about three hours, pulling plants and cleaning up three of the four garden beds. Handsome did all the heavy shovel work and pulling, while I pulled the simple stuff and drove our yard tractor.

These are the last of the veggies we harvested as the beds were cleared. All of them are minis. We were giggling about the size of the last of the carrots and green peppers.

 
I planted the squash later than I thought I should, but someone on IG said July wasn't too late. Those are little delicata and long neck squash, which should be much larger at harvest. Lesson learned. I'll be planting our squash much earlier next year. I also guess I'll be buying delicata squash from the farm stand this weekend, too. (I've already planned to purchase local potatoes when I go to Portage for Craft Day on Saturday.)

I also learned that you never have a surgical procedure with after-care restrictions in the middle of growing season. The weeds took over, but thankfully our plants were established enough to not be affected by them. However, those weeds are the reason it took so long to clean out the beds. their roots were deep, and of course, we needed to removed roots and all so they don't return in the spring.

All in all, our first year as real gardeners since we were first married has been a learning experience. Handsome and I are thinking that we may not expand our plot next year much more, as this year provided plenty of work for two folks our age (including preserving our harvest). My mind is certainly willing, but our bodies are saying, "Take it easy. You aren't spring chickens any more." I'll draw up some plans over the winter, and we'll see where we are once the weather starts to warm up again.
 
We still have one bed to clear, which we'll do today. Then I'll add the amendments for the beds (compost, etc.) so that I can plant garlic very soon. It will rest all winter in the bed, covered with a straw mulch, and then sprout after first frost in the spring. At least that's what I've learned from other gardeners. Time will tell. I think I'll take my Tramadol before we go out to work today. Better to be ahead of the aches, rather than playing catch up when we come back in.

Oh, and don't worry. I'm doing my best to follow doctor's orders, and I have my guardian, Handsome to remind me if I get a bit carried away. Thankfully, it's only one more raised bed. We're heading outside to finish our work to get this task accomplished. Once I'm back inside, I've promised myself a hot shower and a nice, relaxing cuppa...and taking it easy the rest of the day.

10 comments:

  1. Those are some mini veggies, but still delicious!
    Don't overdo it!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I agree! Still tasty, for sure. No worries. I took most of the day off today.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Very cute harvest! And, yes, please don't overdo! It's frustrating how long it can take to heal, and only a fraction of a second to undo it all. All of your lovely creations lately demonstrate how well you are doing, and we all want to see that continue! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois:
      Thanks for your concern, my friend. It is frustrating, but I'm really listening to my body. We both stayed indoors today and took it easy. I am enjoying doing more needlework, for sure!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Gardening always involves a big learning curve and sometimes what works one year won't the next. Glad you're able to put yours to bed before it really gets miserable outside. But...as others are saying....don't overdo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I'm finding out how right you are. That last garden bed will have to wait until the rain stops. I'm hoping it makes the weeds easier to pull, too! I'm absolutely with you about not overdoing. We took the day off and will get to it later. Thanks for your concern.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: Gardening is a lot more work than I am able to do. While growing up our family had a large garden that kept our large family fed. Good Job from just the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I can only imagine how wonderful your family garden must have been. I agree that it is hard work. I love the rewards, though and as I took out the tomato plants, I thanked each one for providing so many beautiful vegetables for us this season. In fact, I learned that pepper plants aren't annuals and that you can overwinter them. So, those plants were put into pots, go severe trimming and will rest in the barn until spring when I'll replant them. We'll see how that works out. Thanks so much!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Great haul. It's hard work but so satisfying and a good kind of tired.
    So true about what the mind thinks and the body says.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I slept like a log last night, so I'm sure you're right. Although my knee was sore, Handsome did so much more than I and he was "hurtin' for certain", so we took the day off. It will be there when we get to it, and it's more important to be careful than quick. I can live with that.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna