October 16, 2023

October Craft Day...

 
Saturday we gathered for another craft day with girlfriends, old and new (this time). My girlfriend, Linda couldn't attend due to a back issue, and her sister-in-law Linda P. had another commitment for the same date. Kim was also absent, attending a child's soccer game. So this time, it was a group of five. L-r: Sarah (one of Marie's friends from church), me, Nancy (Adrienne's mother-in-law), Marie and Adrienne (our hostess). The theme for this month was to create a one-of-a-kind piece using a wooden turkey base purchased from Dollar Tree.

 
Marie was ahead of the game as she decorates and sells these at craft fairs in their area. She had a couple others that were already finished - all different, but really cute. This was one she finished ahead of time. She was still working on hers from the get-together, but it wasn't complete enough to share.

Adrienne chose embellishments that coordinated with the colors in her recent wedding. The "B" initial embroidery I just completed was their wedding gift. They opened it together, and Adrienne said it needed to hang in their family room, as that's where they spend the most time. Her turkey had actual fluffy, maroon feathers on it!

 
Nancy and I used the same napkin as the center of our design. I love her green painted turkey body, and all the colors went together so well. I love it!


I'm sharing a photo of my turkey, too. I decided to add flowers on the head of mine, rather than an eye like some of the others. I loved the shades of tan and gold in the leaves I used for the tail, and placed berries from the leaf picks to embellish the edges of my decoupaged napkin. The only thing I haven't added yet is an acorn to hang from the cord around its neck.

It really was a fun day, and I called Linda on my way home to make sure she was okay. She'll be seeing her doctor today to figure out exactly what's going on with her back. I could tell by her voice that she was hurting, so I really promoted the idea of her making an appointment first thing today. I'll catch up with her in the next day or so to check on her. 

I stopped at the local farm stand close to Adrienne's before coming home. The nice gentleman loaded fifty pounds of potatoes (only $16 for the whole bag!!!) into the back of my Explorer, and my youngest sister, Jan is going to come down during the week to help me can most of them. More food for the pantry shelves!

We got the girls moved into the barn yesterday, so they've got even more posh accommodations this year than last. I fed them there last night, so now they know meals won't be on the porch for a while. They had fun checking out all their sleeping spots, and checked the place for mice. Thankfully for the mice, they were unsuccessful in their hunt. Tag told me he'd like to share photos tomorrow of this year's setup, so I promised to help him pull that off. If you come back tomorrow, I'm sure Mr. Smarty Pants will fill you in as only he can. For now, I'm going to join Handsome for our morning coffee. 

Don't forget to keep entering the Gratitude Giveaway each day. It ends on October 31st, leaving you lots of time between now and then to get multiple entries in!

3 comments:

  1. Love all of the Turkeys, what a great idea!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smiles tell the whole story about what fun you had.
    Glad the furries have been moved to a warm place to stay for the winter and I'm looking forward to Tag's description of their new abode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry of createology: These turkey decorations all look wonderful. Such a fun group of creative ladies. Oh Boy…I am so anxious to hear Tag’s report on the kitty accommodations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna