February 20, 2023

Family...

L-r: Me, Niece #2, Nephew #4, my youngest sister, Jan Missing from photo: Niece #1
My sister, Lyn, was discharged from the hospital yesterday. Her husband took her home, and her two daughters were going home, too. Jan and I had planned to be in Milwaukee for brunch at the restaurant where my nephew is a chef, so I let the girls know we'd be there if they could join us. They said they didn't think the timing would work.

We were walking from our car to the restaurant when our nieces pulled into the lot to surprise us. Although our eldest niece, Jen couldn't stay - she had a 6 hour drive home to her kids - she did visit for a bit before leaving. Her sister, AJ joined us for brunch and we caught this group photo before we had to shuttle her to the airport to fly home. She'd planned to take an Uber, but these two aunties wouldn't let her do that. We were her Uber instead!

Nephew was responsible for creating some of the items on the menu, and I was most happy that one of his dishes was the one I'd ordered. It was a delicious dish featuring mushrooms with a cream sauce over toast, topped with a perfectly cooked egg, pickled onion and micro greens.

Our visit is just what our nieces needed after the week they've had, worried sick about their mom, and we had the added bonus of seeing our guy, too. Of course the visit was too short, but we were grateful for the time we had.

Sister isn't out of the woods yet. She has a lot of therapy to do, and without violating her privacy further, we're still very much concerned for her long-term prognosis. We'll continue our prayers, and support her as we're able.

Both nieces texted me later to let me know when they were each safely home, and I'm sure they were glad to sleep in their own beds. Today begins a new week with new challenges and tasks. I'm looking forward to meeting mine head-on. Tag will be here tomorrow with "all the news that's fit to print". I'll see you again on Wednesday.


 

10 comments:

  1. Glad you got some family time.
    Continued prayers for your sister.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      We all really needed that. Thanks so much, dear.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Good news to hear your sister has been discharged. Prayers continue. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie:
      Thanks so much. She still has a long road ahead of her. On top of everything else, she has pneumonia. ugh
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Family is the best and so glad you got to spend time with some of yours. Such a lovely surprise when they appeared I'm sure. Interesting to note that your nephew is a chef and our #1 son is as well. Not an easy life they've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      That's the truth. We were so happy to spend the time together. You're right, dear. I know our nephew works his tail off...as I'm sure your son does. High stress for sure. He's also a trained artist. His pieces are wonderful. I'll have to share some time in a post. They make me smile.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: Not much time online lately however I have been praying for your sister and family. Thankful she is out of the hospital and the girls can get home. Enjoy your week dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Sherry. Take care of you and we do appreciate the much-needed prayers. We're glad she's home, too. Blessings to you and yours.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. So glad your sister is out of the hospital, even with the long road ahead it is still nice to be home with family. Such a nice visit you had. Continued prayers for you all. Have a good week.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      We're glad, too. I'm happy the nieces are back home with their families. We did have a wonderful visit. Thanks so much for continued prayers. I hope you have a good week, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna