February 24, 2023

Gotta Love A Farm Boy...

When I went to bed on Wednesday night, it was still snowing and blowing. We'd already had about 20" of snow dumped on us, and the yard was blanketed in a thick blanket of white. I wondered whether or not to cancel an overdue oil change for my Explorer, but I thought I'd wait until morning to see whether or not I'd be able to get out.

I awoke to the sound of heavy equipment. It didn't sound like the county plow, so I got up and looked out the window. Andy had brought out his big tractor with the rear snowblower attachment, and it was already shooting snow in a huge plume off his driveway.

By the time I got my act together and got dressed, he'd already finished two other driveways on our road, and in his usual circuit Hickory Hill Farm was the last stop on this route before he made the final pass back up his own driveway.

All the snow in the foreground of this picture is actually what built up on the roof over our big porch. I took the image from the second story, (new) studio window. Even so, there was at least 19" of snow that needed to be moved, and where it drifted, it was even higher. There's no way I would have been able to get out onto the road the way our drive looked before Andy came to the rescue.

I gave him the loaf of bread I'd made for him and Shelly, thanked him profusely, and went and got dressed into proper clothes for my appointment. Thanks to our friend, the driveway was cleared again...until last night.

It was still snowing when I went to bed, and another 2" or so had fallen on the drive. The wind was driving against the house, and the temperature had dropped. Time to take down the "Let It Snow" snowflake door decor on our front door. I've had enough now.

Thanks to Andy for being such a considerate neighbor. I couldn't have moved a foot out of the garage without his help. I'm serious. You've really gotta love a farm boy.

8 comments:

  1. It's nice to have such great neighbors.
    1 of our neighbors winter in FL, & he has a John Deere with a plow, so he let's my hubby use it to plow all of the neighborhood driveways.
    We haven't had as much snow as you have, but, a considerable amount.
    I'm also done with winter, it's been a strange one with back & forth temps & snow.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      You've got a good neighbor, too! At least this isn't the heavy, wet snow. It comes down as powder, and as long as we get after it before the sun has time to do it's magic, it stays light for shoveling. I agree. It's been strange.
      Stay warm!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Bless Andy! He certainly deserves his bread award at the end of all that. The expected storm here didn't amount to much in our area but some places got some pretty nasty freezing rain. We got some snow but not as much as they were predicting. I'm always done with winter two days after it starts so I'm definitely over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      He sure does! I made caramel-frosted brownies and homemade caramel corn for him to take home and enjoy with Shelly today. Gosh, I really dislike freezing rain. Seems like all of us are over winter this year. I sure am!
      Stay warm!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Truer words have never been spoken. We had about a half inch of ice with very heavy winds and no power for seven and a half hours, but we have a generator. So much to be said for neighbors like Andy. When the sun came up and the wind blowing the ice starting falling off the trees, our yard looks like it is covered in ice cubes.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I'm so sorry your neighborhood lost power. We had a whole-house generator installed in Florida, and I really would like to do that here, too. It sure adds a feeling of security when the power goes down. I must be part wild beast, because the wind unnerves me just like it does them. All I want to do is hunker down and cover my head. I hope you're doing better today (Saturday), my dear.
      Stay safe and warm.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Kind neighbors are such a blessing and make our homes feel even more like home. (-:

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna