December 15, 2022

Fly Away, Butterfly...


You may remember my completed Red Spotted Purple Butterfly project. This was the result of the stumpwork class I took with the Royal School of Needlework when they brought tutors from England to Kentucky in 2018. That's where I met our tutor, Owen Davies.


This was the class photograph we had taken at the end of our week-long session. Not only did we love Owen, his teaching style, and his sense of humor (once we got him to loosen up a bit), we forged new friendships with each other over that week, too. It was a truly memorable seven days together.


This is the group photograph of all the tutors who traveled to the United States to share their talents and expertise with those of us who attended for the one or two week sessions. 


I was devastated to learn that our tutor and friend, Owen passed away in the last week in England. He was only 52 years old. I'm told he passed quickly after being diagnosed with cancer. I cried when I read the announcement in the Royal School of Needlework Facebook group. 

I learned during our class that he lived in the same town in England where I was born - not far from Hampton Court Palace. I'd discussed with him, and so hoped to be able to fly overseas to take a class from him again. Those hopes were dashed in the time it took to read of his passing. I sat stunned, and in tears.


While in our class, Owen told us of a book he'd co-written on stumpwork, and thanks so my trusty smart phone, I immediately located a copy for sale online. Before he was finished talking about it, I'd purchased it. It was waiting for me when I got home over the weekend. I was happy to own it back then, but even more glad I own it now that I'll not be able to see him again.

Rest in Peace, dear Owen. 
Know that you're loved and missed, and we'll not forget our time with you.

8 comments:

  1. I remember that Butterfly, It's gorgeous!
    So sorry to hear about Owen's passing, may he RIP.
    Such a talent!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Marilyn. He was, indeed, a hugely talented man. It's sad knowing that he's no longer in the world to share his gifts.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Such sad news but what wonderful memories you have of Owen from your class. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie:
      I still have short recordings of him teaching our class. I played a few yesterday and couldn't help but smile. Thank you for your kind words.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Only 52 - how much sadder it makes me. Of course I didn't know him, but it's still sad. You've written a wonderful tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      He sure was too young. My dad's brother passed at the same age, and I remember thinking then how unfair it was. So much life ahead of them. Thank you for your kind words.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Sherry of createology: Oh Dear this is so very tragic. Why do the good ones leave so early? You were indeed blessed to have gotten to know Owen and learn a beautiful skill from him! Your gorgeous Butterfly will always be a happy reminder for you. Deepest Condolences Dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry. I agree about my butterfly. It will forever be a reminder of the kind and talented man who shared his knowledge and expertise, making my finished piece possible. Hug your loved ones. We just never know.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna