February 16, 2022

The Wall...

My Evening With A Seam Ripper
 

Not that wall. I'm talking about the occasional Creative Wall. You know. The one that just pops up in front of you without warning. The one that completely blocks out your creative light. What do I do to surmount my creative wall?

First, let me tell you how this one popped up. I've been cleaning out non-essential paper(work), fabric scraps, and other things I've been moving around my two rooms for months. That in itself would usually create The Wall, but I simply ignored these things over the holidays and leading up to this month. Rather, it was coming across so many projects I really want to do that slowly erected this latest creative block.

So, what did I actually accomplish yesterday? I did purge a lot of paperwork that's been clogging my workspaces. I also spent more than a little while removing the overlocked stitching on a pair of pajama pants. Don't laugh. I have a lesson here, too.

This pajama set was a favorite set. So favorite, in fact, that I actually never wore them! I bought them in Florida years ago and set them aside. When I opened the box which held these and other special things, I decided not to save them anymore. Instead, I'd wear them. Except I couldn't. The elastic in the waist was no longer stretchy. It was dried out and needed to be replaced. I thought I'd just toss everything out, but remember, they were favorites, so I couldn't bring myself to do it. Hence, the time spent removing the old, dried-out elastic so I can sew in new.

I don't need to tell you the lesson. I think it's obvious. Don't let your elastic dry out. Use it. Enjoy it. Don't wait until your decision is tossing or replacing. 

I can safely say that, at the very least, I'll get new elastic sewn into my jammies. Then, I'm going to wear them tonight! I may even get a little needlework in today. 

I haven't begun my dog embroidery because I've been waiting for a special order to arrive. It shipped from overseas a month ago, before all the drama lit off over there. I actually ordered it from a talented needleworker in Russia. My timing couldn't have been worse, and now I patiently wait while I track my package sitting in the same post office since January 23rd. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it leaves their country soon to come to me.

I'm going to lay out the projects I want to do, and try to prioritize them, and then put on my blinders to climb my wall. Lists have always worked for me, so I think this will lift me out of my creative funk. I'll let you know how it works. 

8 comments:

  1. That's a great idea for a nice pair of jammies.
    Us sewers can do those things that other people would throw out.
    I hope your list works!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      The thread removal was a bear, but I'm glad I took the time. I'll enjoy those pajamas now, for sure.
      Thanks so much for your input!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Your pajama set story is too funny! I myself am guilty of such. Saving clothing “for good” with tags attached ~~~ years later!! Also out of style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie:
      I've learned my lesson. I'm not going to "save" stuff anymore. I'm going to use my good china, wear my special clothes, and quit hoarding. You're so right. Saving things that eventually go out of style, and by the time it comes back, it doesn't fit anymore! sigh I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. If lists don't work, try the 15 minute trick. It always seems to work for me.
    Good lesson in learning to actually wear/use things that we seem to feel we should save 'for good', only to either have it no longer fit or you just plain fall out of like with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I'm aware of the 15 minute trick. I used to do that when I worked outside the house. How come we always accomplish more when we work away from home than when we're home all day? I'm still learning a lot about myself at my age. I'm definitely going to wear my "good" clothes from now on. Now, to convince myself to donate the clothes that don't fit me anymore. Lesson learned.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. I am so guilty of always saving clothes to wear later. “IF NOT NOW…WHEN?” This has been my mantra as I age so I am wearing my clothes. In my last BMW I didn’t even use the air conditioner in blasting heat…I was saving it. As Tag would say, “STOOPID!” Your wall is very short in height so you will be able to step over it easily dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I hear you, sister. I'm going to wear what fits - "good" stuff, too. Now to make myself let go of the things that don't fit anymore (again). Imagine Tag being right about this? Today was a better day, dear. Thanks for you comment. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna