February 9, 2022

Hearts and Flowers...

My Latest Embroidery - A Floral Heart
 

This project was so enjoyable. I free-embroidered flowers on linen ground fabric, and then sewed it into a stuffed heart. It measures approximately 6" at the widest part, and about 6" high, fitting perfectly into my vintage ironstone bowl. 

I'm thinking I'll create more of these (with different flowers) that can be used as a spring/summer bowl display throughout the warmer weather. This design might also look nice mounted on a finished dowel stand.

I may also add a border of handmade colored cord around the outside seam. I'll make up a length of cording, which I can preview by pinning it in place to see how it looks. I do like it as is, though, too.

I'm working on something new right now. Our younger daughter-in-law contacted me to ask if I'd teach her how to do a specific project. I was so tickled she asked! Of course, I will, but I want to try her idea a few different ways to see what might work best, before I try to show her. It's going to be another fun process, and I'll look forward to sharing it with you in future posts.

Along with that, I'm also pulling fabrics and choosing items that will leave here this month. I'm finding this declutter thing to be very freeing. It's nice to have more breathing room, and I'm looking forward to seeing how different it feels around here next December. 

Are you participating in the DeClutter Challenge with me? Are you focusing on a specific room, or do you have loftier goals? I'd love to hear how you're doing! 

10 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful heart!
    We had new windows put in yesterday, today they are doing the 2 patio doors.
    I had moved a lot out of my sewing/craft room, so today I will dust & vacuum well & sort when I put everything back.
    It might take up most of the day!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Marilyn. How exciting to have new windows and patio doors. Clearing out and starting over with a room is also cool. I remember doing that in Florida, and then,of course, the move here. I hope you had a fun day playing with your creative things.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. Your heart is very sweet and fitting for this week in February. And lucky you to have a DIL that is interested and wants to learn from you. My daughter-in-love that would like to learn is on the other side of the country sadly.
    As for decluttering - keep throwing inspiration my way and I'm sure I'll get there. Normally (and we all know these times are in no way normal) I would be spending much of January on a declutter/clean tear but not this year. I had no thoughts in that direction at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, MA! I thought a heart shape was fitting, too. I'm looking forward to spending stitching time with my DIL. I well-remember being too far away from our family. I can definitely empathize with you, dear.
      I filled another box today. I'm on a roll now. lol I'm kind of looking ahead to when the weather is warmer, and I'll want to be doing anything other than purging. It's okay to take a break. When you're ready, you'll know.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. This embroidered Heart is sew very lovely. This leads to endless possibilities… DeClutter is very much on my agenda and this month I am working on my clothes closet…something I have immense trouble eliminating. How lucky to share your talents with your DIL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sherry. I understand your trouble with decluttering clothes. Optimistic Me believes she'll get back into those jeans that are now four sizes too small, or that the garment I love so much will come back in style. It's so hard! I'm looking forward to stitching with DIL #2. Maybe next week. She's a realtor, so it might be a little while before she can clear her calendar for a day. We'll see.
      xoxo
      Donna
      Donna

      Delete
  4. It's beautiful!! Such a wonderful talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sunny. I so appreciate you saying so.
      Best wishes,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Your embroidery is always so beautiful Donna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. You're always so kind. Sending hugs across the miles, Marrianne.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna