August 17, 2020

Tomatoes and Strawberries...

Brynwood Needleworks - Tomato Ketchup
 
Remember the bowls of beautiful tomatoes I shared recently? Campari, plum, cherry, and larger slicing tomatoes, that were either gifts from Shelly, my little brother, Christian, or from our few tomato plants.

I quartered or halved all of them (depending on size), and popped them in the slow cooker before Handsome and I went back to Christian's in Waupaca, WI on Saturday. When we got home, the house smelled of bright, cooked tomatoes, ready to be further prepared for ketchup.

I put everything through my mother-in-law's vintage chinois, straining out the skins and seeds. I put them into a large pot, adding the ingredients called for on the package of Mrs. Wage's Ketchup mix. (Added ingredients were: white vinegar, sugar, a 6 oz. can of tomato paste, and the package of Mrs. Wage's Ketchup mix.)

After bottling up the ketchup, all the bottles went into my large water bath canner for 45 minutes, and, after a 15 minute wait to avoid siphoning, onto my butcher block to cool. They're all labeled and put away in the pantry now, and will be ready when needed.

My review of the Ketchup mix is that it was sweeter than we're used to in ketchup, even after I added more vinegar and Worcestershire sauce after the initial tasting to cut the sweetness. However, I think it will be perfect when I use it as the base for my homemade barbeque sauce later. I will say, it is pretty, too, isn't it?

Brynwood Needleworks - Woolen Strawberry Pincushion
 
I also had an order for one of my woolen strawberry pincushions, so I did the assembly and embroidery for this one. I still can't sit on my sewing chair, so the machine will be moved to a countertop later today. I have orders waiting, and I can't wait any longer.
 
Frustration isn't usually a word in my vocabulary, but these days I'm frustrated because I'm in pain. I need to push through it, and get back to work. Standing will help. I'm gonna suck it up, and get back to what I love.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

5 comments:

  1. The ketchup looks delicious & so pretty.
    Gotta love that big Strawberry!
    Hope you heal soon.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! I'll let you know how the ketchup turned out in about a week. I just want to give it a little time for the flavors to develop first. I love making these strawberry pincushions! Thanks for the love.
      Fingers crossed that I don't need meds pretty soon. (I really dislike taking meds every day!)
      Big Hugs,
      Donna

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry that you're still in pain Donna - sending you healing thoughts from up here in Ontario. Seeing your ketchup reminded me that my mother used to make it. Hers was very watery and didn't stay on anything - more like liquid tomatoes. No spices either so it wasn't particularly palatable. My mother lost her sense of taste and smell in a car accident so her cooking was pretty bland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MM. Yeah. This hasn't been much fun, but I'm confident things will improve with time.

      I think the Mrs. Wage's mix has thickened the tomatoes up, so it's not runny. I'm looking forward to trying it on a nice, Klements hot dog very soon. I'll be sure to let you know what I think after it's had time for the flavors to develop. Your poor mum - and her family! - that she had no taste or smell. It must have been a terrible disappointment to her. I'm not sure how much I'd even enjoy cooking or eating if I couldn't smell or taste my food. Thanks for sharing.
      xo D

      Delete
  3. I hope your pain eases soon! I never knew anyone who made ketchup before. How interesting. I'm planning to make some chunky tomato sauce tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna