August 26, 2020

Quilt Embroidery Finished...

Brynwood Needleworks - Ellie Quilt Embroidery Detail

Yes. I was called for jury duty yesterday. If you have read my blog long enough to know a few things about me, one thing should be apparent by now. I do not like to sit idly. Ever.

We were informed in our service package that we would be leaving our belongings in an unsecure room if we were selected to a case, so I left my phone, any project, book, or anything that I could use to amuse myself while waiting. I arrived at 8 am on a cloudy, rainy day, but the precip was light, so I didn't even grab my umbrella.

We were welcomed and told that the clerk was going back upstairs (in the courthouse), to pull a random list of those who would be called for the initial "voir dire" (pronounced vwaa deer) - a Latin term for the preliminary examination of a juror or witness. That was a 8 am. We all then cooled our heels for a mind-numbing two and a half hours before the judge appeared in our room.

He explained that, faced with an imminent jury trial, the plaintiff caved and made a deal with the court. We were excused with the thanks. The best news is that I haven't received another letter for service before the end of this month, so I am now exempt from service for four years! So, with a smile on my face, I followed the other people outside.

It was still sprinkling lightly, and our designated parking lot was more than a city block away. As this line of people followed the sidewalk along the river behind the city/county building, we were about halfway on our trek when the sky opened up and it absolutely poured. There was no way to go except forward.

By the time I got to my car, I was soaked to the skin. My shoes were waterlogged, and my hair was dripping in my face and down my neck. On a positive note, I earned a whole $30 for my attendance for the morning. sigh

Brynwood Needleworks - Ready To Layer And Quilt
 
When I got home, I went upstairs, changed my clothes and dried my hair. Then, I pulled the color I wanted from my Anchor™ floss assortments, and stitched my great-niece's name (actually Elizabeth's nickname) onto her Birthday quilt top.
 
Now that I've finished the embroideries, I'll layer and quilt today. I should be sewing on the binding before dinnertime. Ahhhh, to be back to busy hands. Happy me!
 
DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful.
    I'm sure when she is a little older she will love carrying it around with her.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jury duty, although our civil duty, is a complete and total pain. I have been on the short list for more times than I like to count and not one of my friends has EVER been on the list. I don't know why they like my name so much. At least you get paid for it - I didn't - because (get this)...I'm 'just' a housewife'. It didn't matter that my kids were small at the time and that I would have had to pay for a babysitter had my husband not been on holidays. Not a fair system, that's for sure. Glad you got off, wet, but relatively unscathed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna