August 12, 2020

Pie Day At The Farmhouse...

Brynwood Needleworks - Apple Pie!
 
I couldn't let a bowl of beautiful Granny Smith apples just sit there! I made pies yesterday. I made one for us, and one for Andy and Shelly. This is the one for us. Andy and Shelly's was all-over lattice with an apple shape right in the middle, then also topped with streusel. (I forgot to take a picture of that one!)

I made homemade pastry on Monday night and refrigerated it until I was ready to bake yesterday. I sliced apples, put them into a big bowl with all my other ingredients (lemon juice, brown sugar, a/p flour, salt, cinnamon, freshly ground nutmeg, and my homemade vanilla), and proceeded to roll out the dough. 

Once I'd formed the bottom crust, filled the pie with apples and a little of the juice ingredients, I decided to play with the top crust on ours. When it was done, I covered it with homemade streusel, covered the edges and popped it into the oven. As soon as it came out of the oven, I drizzled some of the juice mixture from the apple bowl over the top of the streusel. The kitchen smelled like caramel apples!

One pie went up the hill, and the other pie had (3!) pieces cut out of it after dinner. (Handsome had seconds.) I guess I can say this effort was a big hit. When I asked, Handsome replied that I should definitely make my apple pies like this again.

DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna