August 28, 2020

Baking Day...

Brynwood Needleworks - He Rests When He Can
 
That puppy wears him out, so while she was taking a nap in her kennel, Tag wanted to catch a quick forty winks, too. He knows there's nothing for him in the kitchen when I'm baking bread, so he doesn't even bother. Well, not until it's baked anyway.

I cleaned the house from top to bottom first, dusting, vacuuming, putting things away that have a tendency to end up on a table or chair...that sort of thing. I no sooner rearranged and cleaned the living room that Tag didn't jump right into this chair.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Farmhouse Sandwich Loaves Today
 
I didn't start this batch of bread until after 2 pm. It was so hot outside, that I really had to force myself, but Handsome reminded me that he needed bread for his lunch sandwiches, so I just dawdled until mid-afternoon.
 
These beautiful loaves came out of the oven around 8 pm, and this picture was taken right before I put them into bread bags.
 
I'm going to process the last 18 pounds from the bushel of tomatoes I got over the weekend. I'm going to turn them into salsa. I went downstairs to check my stock of canning lids, and sighed a sigh of relief that I'd actually bought enough at the end of the season to be able to can what I still want to put up this season...applesauce, more stewed tomatoes, and pears from Shelly and Andy's tree between our yards. You do know about the shortage of canning lids, don't you? They're nowhere to be found this season, because all the Covid gardeners are canning their bounty. If I plan to do anything once my lids are gone, I'll have to freeze, rather than can, but according to my calculations, I should be just fine this year.
 
I contacted Shelly yesterday to ask if I could have some of the pears from their tree, and she graciously said yes. Are you surprised that one of these loaves is going up to their house today? Sharing my baking with them is the least I can do.  

Well, I'm gonna run. Coffee, and then canning. At least I can enjoy a clean kitchen (and house) while I play. 

I've been thinking about all those in the path of Hurricane Laura. I hope you're safe and sound, and you're constantly in my prayers.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

2 comments:

  1. That bread looks o delicious!
    Cute pic of Carly looking at the dog.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread looks delicious , Tag looks content. Enjoy your weekend.. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna