April 8, 2020

We Can Do It...

Brynwood Needleworks - Artwork by Katie Winchell

I've officially "retooled" to make masks for my family, friends, and a nursing home where my niece is director. Yesterday, one of the "mask making" groups on Facebook posted this image, and a friend of mine shared it. The artist is Katie Winchell.

I love this poster, mainly because it makes me think of World War II's iconic "Rosie The Riveter". If you're making masks for your family, yourself, or others, you can count yourself among those of us with sewing machines who are rising to the call.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - 53 Masks So Far
 
As of the end of my production day yesterday, I had completed fifty three masks. Ten went to their new home yesterday, and eleven are going in the mail today.
 
I'm going to do a live Facebook video on my Brynwood page today, as a few sewing friends wanted to know how I'm assembling mine - and how I'm creating 36" strips of seam binding so quickly. If you're interested, please join us. (If you're not already a member of the group, please stop by and join. I can't remember if you need to be approved or not, but I'll make sure everyone is "in" long before I start.)
 
I haven't decided what time I'll be starting the watch party, but it will be in the afternoon, and I'll announce the time later this morning. This will be my first live video, so it should be amusing, if nothing else! (I'm also a victim of "Covid Salon Closings", so my hair is the longest it's been in nearly 20 years. I can't wait to get it cut again!)

Hope to see you later today!
 
DonnaAcornSignature

5 comments:

  1. That's such a great graphic and does remind me of Rosie. Mask making happening here too. Used up all my bias tape so now I'm having to resort to making ties. Don't mind that so much, but the ironing of all those ties is making me walleyed! As for hair, Resident Chef got out his beard trimmer and did mine...turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that poster and you are right it reminds me of Rosie the Riveter also! That was so nice of you Donna to make all those masks! My daughter made alot too and has been handing them out to people (of course, she doesn't come in contact with them, they are left in paper boxes, front porches, etc.). They are so badly needed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Magpie:
    Head over to my Brynwood Needleworks Facebook page. I shared how I make my bias tape "on the fly". No ironing! It goes a LOT faster!
    Thanks for sharing that you're making them, too.
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sherri:
    How wonderful of your daughter! You're right. Everyone needs at least one.
    Take care and stay healthy!
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, I am late to the party. I did watch your video later and it was wonderful to see and hear you! I happened to notice your hair and though it looked beautiful. Thank you “Rosie the Riveter” for sewing and sharing so many masks for our new normal. Blessings Dear. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna