April 6, 2020

I'm Making Them, Too...

Brynwood Needleworks - Mask Fabrics - Batiks

I've spent the past two weeks watching every video, saving patterns, and viewing techniques for making masks to help avoid spreading germs during this frightening time for our country. Today, I'm going to production sew for my family.

I'm not just making masks for Handsome and me, but also for our sons and their families; my father (recently diagnosed with cancer) and a sister (who is caring for him right now); and finally for other family members, including two who are currently working on the "front lines".

I've chosen batik fabrics for their especially fine weave. I'll be doubling the fabric, leaving an opening to insert filter fabric. In the short term, I've learned that the most effective (and readily available) filter is an insert of folded shop towels. I'm going to make at least two masks per person, with more to follow.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Mask Fabrics - Patriotic
 
This is the fabric I'll be using for some of the masks. These are going to two relatives working with at-risk individuals on a daily basis. 
 
I'm going to make four to six masks for each of them, so they have plenty of backup. It's going to be a busy day or two, focusing just on this project. My goal is to mail them all on Wednesday. I'll be sure to get photos before they go to the mailbox. See you Wednesday. I'm finishing my coffee, and then upstairs to get busy!
 
DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. Those are going to be some much needed pretty masks.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fabrics. Would you mind sharing which pattern(link) you used? TIA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mask making underway here too. One small way we can help. Our local quilt guild is collecting them, making sure they are sanitized, and then distributing them to organizations and those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been making masks like crazy! The requests keep coming, and not many around here are making them. I'm nearing the 75 mark, and this is a small town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making masks here too. Unfortunately on the first mask my good Pfaff machine broke and will need a repairman after our lockdown. Fortunately I still have my very old Japanese Plastic Singer that I sew paper cards on and it is working fine with fabrics too now. YAY! Blessings to all who generously contribute to keep everyone safe. Health is Wealth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making masks here too Donna,lots for my daughter and her family ,Several each for me and B.Now I have a little production line for friends.They will be washed bagged and left on my wall ready for collection and I will wave through the window.Stay safe Donna and
    Handsome.xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna