April 18, 2020

The Promised Reveal...

Brynwood Needleworks - The Wrapped Gift

I promised I'd share my 24 hour project after it had been received. Yesterday, Handsome and I took a short road trip and delivered it, rather than putting it in the mail. Now I can show you what was so important for me to finish quickly.

Brynwood Needleworks - A Special Quilt of Valor - Front

I've made the only Quilt of Valor I'll probably ever make. Not for any other reason than I want this one to be that special.

I used a panel for the center, and added borders of coordinating fabrics from the same line. (The navy border is the stars and stripes fabric I showed you a few days ago.)

Brynwood Needleworks - A Special Quilt of Valor - Back

Working with the fabrics I had, I decided to piece the back, too. The stripes were in the fabric (not pieced). Down in the corner, I've attached a very special label to the recipient...my Dad, from his firstborn.

Brynwood Needleworks - A Special Quit of Valor - Detail
 
He loves German shepherd dogs, and currently has one named Titus. I needed to add an image I took from another fabric print, which I then appliqued' to the main panel.

Brynwood Needleworks - My Dad - Quilt of Valor Recipient.
 
There is a story to this quilt. My Dad and I haven't spoken for over ten years, by his directive. Recently, I learned from a sister that he needed to have some tests done as he was complaining of back and leg pain. Upon completion of the tests, doctors informed him that he has Stage Four prostate cancer. He's eighty seven years old.
 
He was telling my sister that he doesn't understand why I never come to visit. She asked him whether or not he remembered the circumstances of our estrangement, to which he replied "no". He just wanted to see me again. She told me, and although we're all required to "shelter in place", I was able to FaceTime with him, thanks to my sister being able to show him how. We were both very emotional, and I promised to get to him as soon as I'm able.
 
We've kept in touch these past few weeks, and my sister told me that Dad's always cold now. (He's had one chemo treatment, and daily radiation for the past week - with one more week ahead - to try to control the growth of tumors that would render him paralyzed from the waist down. That's probably a contributing factor to his chills.) When she told me that, it was all the motivation I needed to spring into action to create something my Air Force veteran father would love. After two twelve hour days, I had a finished Quilt of Valor, with a special label commemorating his service.
 
Handsome knew I wanted to get it to him as quickly as possible, so he offered to drive us to the clinic where Dad's getting treatments, to do a safe transfer of my gift. Dad graciously accepted my package, and I told him I'd talk with him after he got settled back at home from his treatment. (I later found out from my sister that he didn't recognize me behind the face mask.)
 
He opened his package in front of the FaceTime camera, so I could see his reaction. He was overwhelmed when he saw what it was, and asked my sister to put it on his bed right away. (He just got a hospital bed installed in his room.) It was a perfect fit! Shortly after taking this picture, he changed his clothes from his clinic trip, and crawled into bed, covered by his new quilt. He loves it. 

I'm carefully watching our governor's press conferences these days. I want to hear that it's okay to go back to our daily lives, because I need to be able to sit in the same room with Dad. But for now, I'm staying put...knowing that he's sleeping, warmly hugged by the quilt made by his #1.
DonnaAcornSignature

15 comments:

  1. The quilt is beautiful.
    What great re-connecting story behind it.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post, Donna. I am happy you and your Dad have reconnected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How absolutely wonderful, Donna. What a healing gesture, in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Donna. How bittersweet. Prayers for your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sweetie you are so beautiful and I know your Dad is dreaming of you covered with your love ❤️ 😭

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt and story. Keeping your dad in my prayers and praying for a swift end to quarantine so you can spend lots of quality time together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. For me, it's a 'God thing' that you have reconnected after all those years and that your dad will feel comforted with that quilt made with such caring. Bless you, and him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilt and a gift of the heart.
    So happy that you and your Dad have reconnected. I pray these days of confinement will end soon and you may once again be able to see your Dad and give him the closeness you both deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! Donna...first of all, that quilt is amazing and so full of love. For not having been together for so long, you made a gift that was so appropriate. I am sure that your heart is overflowing. Time and effort and every stitch made with love...what better gift could one give? XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt,he looks chuffed with it.Really lovely to reconnect.Hope this is over soon and you can have a proper get together.Donna I really like your hair a little longer,suits you.xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Donna, Beautiful Quilt and what a blessing that your dad wanted to reconnect. A lot of love in that quilt and know that he feels all of it when using it. Thank you for sharing this,it brought tears to my eyes. Hope you soon be able to be with your dad. Blessings to you and your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna Dear family is Priceless and what a wonderful gift you have given to your father. And the best gift of all is getting back together after so long apart. Prayers and Healing Energy for his recovery. Blessings Dear. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Donna, what a wonderful heartfelt post. Truly the most beautiful quilt & seeing it on his hospital bed was so touching. What a journey you have had, I was so touched by your priceless gift of love, and the tears came... Thank you for sharing your story and the pictures of him and your gift of this fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna