July 13, 2019

It Was A Sad Thing To See...

Brynwood Needleworks via host.madison.com - Nancy Zieman at Nancy's Notions
 
Handsome and I drove down to Nancy's Notions yesterday. First, we stopped along the way for a Friday fish fry lunch at one of the restaurants we used to go to. New ownership. Not nearly as tasty as the old place we remembered. We've scratched that place off our list.
 
From our underwhelming lunch, we forged ahead to the Closing Business Sale in Beaver Dam, WI. I had received a letter notifying patrons that the sale began on July 11th, but I figured it would be madness to go on the first day of the sale. I was right.
 
Renee K. manages the shop. I saw her when I got inside, and she told me that the checkout lines were two hours long yesterday! I would have eaten my own liver!
 
As it was, there were many shoppers, and from the looks of things, those employees must have been jumping out of the aprons to keep up yesterday. There were still sewing cabinets and tables, brand new machines (in their original boxes), fabric, machine accessories, embroidery programs and discs,  and threads available. There was more, but I'd say it was less than half of their usual inventory. Most of the display pieces were sold and tagged for people who will come and get them after the sale. I managed to find a piece that I'll look forward to using at the vendor events I attend, and I was able to save us a return trip, as they were gracious enough to let us load it up before we left.

The sale is supposed to last through the end of July, but I don't think the inventory will last that long. The word is out, and the shoppers are coming. Although there will still be an online store, the shop that Nancy opened so many years ago will soon close its doors. I don't think anyone there was excited or happy. It's a reminder that Nancy is gone, and it's the end of an era.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

5 comments:

  1. Yes, so sad. I really loved Nancy's patterns and blog. Never got to visit one of her stores though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so sad when I heard she passed away, what a talent.
    I used to watch her program every Saturday on PBS.
    It's also sad that they can't find someone to take over the store & keep it going. I live close to the store, & get E-mails, but never heard they were closing until my neighbor told me. She used to work there when they had lunches. I think that store will be sadly missed, no sewing or quilt shops here, only JoAnn's, and they don't carry a lot of what the other JoAnn's carry. :(
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've shopped there twice on my way from Texas to see family in Wisconsin. I'm sad to see it go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing is ever as it was. Nancy is sew missed by all of us who love sewing. I’ll look forward to seeiing your acquisition dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very sad!! Nancy was a class act!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna