November 2, 2016

The Turtle Footstool...

Brynwood Needleworks - Turtle Footstool

Last year, I was grazing around on Ebay when I came across this little footstool. The seller didn't know anything about it, but I did. You see, I purchased a kit just like this in the early 1970s and made one like it!

Brynwood Needleworks - Turtle Footstool

I well remember the time I spent stitching away to create the shell for this little stool. I enjoyed stitching the satin stitches, French knots, stem stitches and even the spider web blossoms. When I finished it, I gave it away and hadn't thought of it again until I saw this one for sale.

The seller offered a "Best Offer" option, so I sent a note to her with my offer, which she accepted. In no time, I had it in my hot, little hands.

Brynwood Needleworks - Turtle Footstool Embroideries
 
I admit, when it arrived it was in pretty rough shape. Yesterday, I pulled all the staples and removed the stitched piece from the wooden turtle base. The foam that was used to cushion the design practically disintegrated when I touched it. I scraped all the debris off the wood, so it's all cleaned off now.

Brynwood Needleworks - Naked Turtle Footstool
 
I'm going to use the old needlework piece as a model for a new piece. I'll use a lighter or natural linen and draw the design onto it. I think the new piece will be stitched all in neutral colors, rather than bright threads like the original. (I'm still contemplating that.) I know I won't use foam, but batting instead for longevity.
 
As for the turtle footstool base, I'm going to paint it white before I remount my newly stitched piece to it. This little turtle is going to get a complete, fresh makeover, and then she'll move to the farm. Of course, I'll share my progress with you. (Don't I always?)
 
DonnaAcornSignature

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the finished turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turtle Stool will be so delightful with your neutral makeover. What a sweet retro project. The Farm definitely needs this turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great that you reconnected with a great item from the past. It will look so good updated! Enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so cute Donna. I would have done the same as you. Couldn't resist buying something I might have worked on in my younger days.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna