December 2, 2014

Four Hundred Twenty, Actually...

That's if you use the standard "1 human year equals 7 dog years".
 
Tag was right, though. Today is my Birthday.
This is what "60" looks like on me.
(The photograph was taken at our guild Christmas Party last night.)
 
Do I wish there were fewer wrinkles or a few less pounds?
Who wouldn't?
(I have to admit, though, I do love the silver sparkles in my hair.)
I've heard people say, "Oh, don't use that picture of me. I don't like it."
I look at it differently. I may not always like the way my pictures turn
out, or "Gosh! I can't believe that's what I look like from behind now!",
but it's who I am - or rather - who I've become through all these years.
 
The way I look at it, I've earned every wrinkle (and pound) and each 
and every little, silver hair on my head. They've come from the years,
the laughter, and the tears. They're earned over every life-changing, 
life-altering decision I've made. They've come with each love and life
shared or lost. They've come with every "hello"...and "goodbye".
They've been earned during unimaginable joy and unbearable grief.
Can you tell I'm a little more introspective this year?
I'm feeling a little different on this Birthday than the others. 
 
My appearance is only the outward evidence of my life; the wisdom 
I've gained through countless trials and errors; the person I've become 
as a result of the countless experiences I've had. These visual traits are 
only clues to the essence of who I have become. The person I am inside.
I'm not the "hot" 30-something I used to be, but I'm a "hot" 60 now.
I still giggle, and blush (Can you believe my husband can still make
me blush?). I dance and sing with reckless abandon. I love my life. 
I love who I have become.
 
But most of all, I love the people with whom I share this blessed
and wonderful existence...My husband of thirty years, our family and
my dear and loving friends who are so generous with their affection.
Yes. Today is the start of my sixtieth year, and
I can't wait to see what's next on this adventure.
DonnaAcornSignature

20 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Donna, it really is a lovely photograph, wrinkles what wrinkles! Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Donna! Through my eyes the years just keep getting better and better! These are the years we worked so hard to enjoy! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, Happy Birthday Dear Donna, oh wow 60 looks really good to me. I love who you have become also. beautiful through and through. I am sure you can still blush, not only that I bet he can still make your heart flip just a bit. Lol Just enjoy your birthday and I will be thinking of you today. Xo Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! Happy Birthday hugs from Vermont...����������☕️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday. Your picture is beautiful and so is your attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!!! You look great, love your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna,
    Happy Birthday! You look gorgeous! Have fun!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU are so very Beautiful...shining from inside as well as the exterior. HaPpY BiRtHdAy Miss "420" Hottie!!!
    Your approach to aging is such a refreshing blessing. May you celebrate each and every day with the continued elegance you live your life with. Sparkle and Shine on my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Sounds like your ready to enjoy the rest of your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A vert happy Birthday Donna,you look stunning.
    Sparkly hair and a twinkle in your eye.These are the good years Donna,I had my 60th 6 years ago and remember a young fellow telling me that I should tell people I was sixtyteen....and I've kept to that.xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happiest Birthday to you, Donna! You look so beautiful! You are beautiful on the inside and outside! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you have a wonderful Birthday celebration & a blessed 60th year! xo, Bren & Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great outlook on life. Love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deece, you are so beautiful! Wishing you the happiest of birthdays! I was chatting with some of my stitching friends the other week and asking them about being in their 40's, 50's and 60's. They all agreed with me that 40's to mid 50's were really hard and not much fun. They all said that late 50's were better, but they are so happy in their 60's. They said they just feel content and grateful and joyful like they never had before. So, here's to the beginning of a super happy time in your life. Hugs and love to you always. Shelbie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Donna,
    60 happens to look very, very good on you. Happy, happy birthday dear one.
    Love,
    TerriSue

    ReplyDelete
  16. what's not to like about that beautiful picture? Happy Birthday! I hope Handsome and Tag made it a very special day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As Billy Crystal would say, " You look maaavalous !"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna