June 18, 2024

Kaleb To The Rescue...

This young man showed up yesterday to tackle the "weed issue" here at the farmhouse. I admit, it really got away from me this year, and even though I tried, I was unable to make much headway. However, Kaleb managed to finish what I started in the kitchen garden, and start his way toward the front corner of the yard in front of the house. The progress he made was laudable.

He was here for five hours, and was careful not to take out the plants we wanted to retain. He turned down multiple offers for water (he brought his own) or even a lunch offered by yours truly. He just wanted to keep his head down and concentrate on the task at hand.

His dad, Lance raised a good boy. Kaleb is 14 years old. His dad told me he gets up at 4 am, exercises, reads his Bible, makes sure his homework is complete (during the school year) and is a straight A student. He assured me his son would work hard for us, and that was an understatement. I can see why he's in demand from other homeowners. He told me he'll return - as soon as he finds another gap in his schedule - to finish our job. We're looking forward to it. He's a wonderful young man.

This is a closeup of our kitchen garden, because I was actually focusing on the teacup bird feeder. Some of the hollyhocks closest to the house are already blooming, so you'll see more photos of them again soon. The "bushy" plant on the right is English lavender just starting to open up. It smells soooo good! My hostas can breathe again, which is really nice, too.

As requested by Charlene, here's a photo of my teacup feeder installed on the shepherd's hook I bought for it. Ha! The dangly bits were swinging in the breeze when I took this picture, so it looks like some of them have disappeared.

This is the button I glued on the back of my teacup. It says "Free as a bird". I think it's the perfect finishing touch for my project.

I'll share more photos of this area as soon as the hollyhocks open up over the next few days. For now, I'm off to work for the next six or seven hours, so I've got to fly. I'll see you again tomorrow!

12 comments:

  1. What a sweet young man, looks like he did a great job.
    Your Teacup project looks so pretty.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      I think he was absolutely worth the wait. I look forward to seeing him again soon. Thanks for the compliment on the teacup, too!
      Stay cool, dear. It's wicked hot and sticky this week.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. So glad you found a young man to do the heavy lifting for you. Sounds like he's a real gem.
    I hope the birds like your new teacup feeder and appreciate having a pretty table set for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      He really is! He's such a sweet guy, too. His parents can be proud of the boy they've raised.
      The birds seem to like their new feeder, too.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Does he have friends in Phoenix who need a job! The teacup looks right at home and those birds got it made. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene:
      I sure wish he did, for you! The teacup will really accent the garden once the hollyhocks open! I'm glad to oblige, my friend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Young Mr. Kaleb gives me hope for the future. I am glad you found such good help. The teacup feeder is really nice. Does its job while looking beautiful! Have a good day - Kathy P.S. Is it really still cool enough to wear long sleeves? I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy:
      I know. Right?! I lucked out when I spoke with his dad who regularly comes into the store. I like how the teacup turned out, too. Thanks! About that shirt...It's really lightweight, and it protects him from the sun. I see lots of Hispanics wear them when working outdoors, too. Probably better for protecting from dehydration than a tank top. Thanks for asking. It's actually dog-kicking hot here right now, with high humidity, too. No air in the farmhouse means we have every ceiling fan and floor fan running to keep the air moving. Ugh.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: Kaleb is a wonderful young man who is working and listening to your needs and wishes, We need more Kalebs! Your garden looks wonderful. I adore your Teacup to serve the birdies. Pleasant working dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      You're absolutely right. The world would be wonderful with more Kalebs. The garden looks so much better now...and just in time for the Hollyhock Bloom of 2024, too! Thanks, dear.
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. That young man will go far in life.
    It says a lot about his parents.
    The world sure could use a lot more like him.
    Oh I like that kitchen garden and that beautiful tea cup.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      I saw his dad again today. I told him his son is a wonderful young man, as well as polite and hard working. He said that he's very proud of both of his children. His daughter is equally gifted and also a National Honor Student. You could almost see his buttons busting. I agree. More Kalebs would be a blessing. Thanks about the garden and teacup, too.
      Hugs,
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna