June 21, 2024

Another Opening, Another Show...

It's showtime!!! The hollyhocks have begun to open since the latest rain. I wanted you to see the variety of colors, ranging from white to dark magenta and red. Not all the hollyhocks in the front of the group have opened yet, so I'm going to wait until they do to share a photograph of all of them together. They're a bouquet that just keeps on giving. 

If you're really quiet, you'll hear the soft buzzing of the hummingbirds and bees, as well as the raucous arrival of the Baltimore oriols as they shoo away the woodpeckers and other small birds who've decided they, too, love grape jelly. I refill that jar every. single. day. Handsome says it's a wonder they're not all diabetic!

These are the wondrous things right outside our kitchen windows. Now, when I stand at the new sink in the pantry, I can also watch a pair of wrens who have set up housekeeping in a birdhouse. There, I can see them as they land and sing as they greet each other. I have a hummingbird feeder on this side as well, so if it's too busy in the kitchen garden, they just buzz over to the quieter side of the house.


 
I hope you enjoy these beautiful hollyhocks as much as I do! Happy Weekend again (already), my friend.  

10 comments:

  1. This week seemed to fly by!
    The Hollyhocks are so very pretty.
    We also fill the jelly everyday, the orioles are so beautiful.
    Yes, we see other birds eating it now to.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      They're definitely all over the jelly! They love it.
      Have a great weekend.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. So beautiful! Our hollyhocks always got some sort of disease and by the time the flowers came out the leaves were looking terrible. Can't imagine orioles coming to the feeders like that - they are a rare sighting here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      I've noticed the "smut" on my leaves, too. Some are worse than others. I guess I'll pull those to try to minimize the infestation. The orioles are gorgeous to watch, and they have a lovely song, too. Sorry you don't see them like we do.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. Hello my pretties! I am patiently awaiting your seeds to see if you will grow in Phoenix. My lone three year hollyhock needs some company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene:
      Thanks for the reminder! I'll mail them off today.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. sherry of createology: Your Hollyhocks are the reason I now love Hollyhocks! Handsome is funny about the birds and grape jelly. I think now you need to grow a vineyard of grapes to make jelly. Stay Cool and Hydrated. We are very hot here…105F to 108F. So grateful we have A/C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      Awwww. I'm so glad I've helped bring someone over to hollyhocks! I really missed them in Florida, but have plenty now! I've spoken with Handsome about a micro vineyard in the past. Not so far, but I'll keep trying. If it gets hot here again, I'll need to try to horse the window a/c units out of the attic. Handsome is unable to help with that right now, and I think it might help him a bit to have the cooler air in the house. It's nice right now. Breezy and 78ยบ, but we've been getting intermittent showers, too, which cools things off even more. (hearts)
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. I love seeing your hollyhocks! I put out one I found in a nursery, but it just doesn’t seem like it’s going to make it, much less flower. I’ve determined I stink with hollyhock, lavender, and delphiniums. I’ll just have to enjoy yours. I buy all kinds of crazy things I find in nurseries. My biggest surprise was a goji berry that is really pretty when it blooms and produces. The birds and squirrels love it too, so I rarely get any berries! Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      I'm happy to send seeds your way if you'd like. These are certainly hardy, and they actually replant themselves each year. I've never seen a goji berry bush, but I'm sure I'd love it!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna