June 19, 2024

A New Fairy Steed In The Family...

Last week, I got a call from my brother-in-law. He had a question to ask me. About a month ago, my sister, Di lost her German Shepherd who previously belonged to our Dad. For her, losing that dog was like losing Dad all over again. Like Tag, Titus failed fast, giving no advance opportunity to prepare. In a flash, he was gone. Di was understandably devastated. Thankfully, she and her husband had another dog in their family to help ease the pain a little.

The call I received was to ask whether or not I thought Di might welcome a six month old puppy into their family. Was she ready for another dog? Was she ready for another Corgi? She lost her first Corgi, which we rescued in Florida for her, in August of 2013 after a tragic accident. Tag wrote about her HERE.

I was told this new pup didn't look at all like Ceri. She's black and tan and white...and she has a tail! "A black-headed tri!", I told him. When he sent photos I told him she's a Pembroke with a tail and a beautiful face. Yes. I thought my sister would welcome this pup with open arms.

Currently, Di is staying at their campsite three hours from home, and her husband goes up for a week at a time, when he can take vacation time from work. His plan was to surprise her last weekend, and could I keep it a secret from her? I assured him I could.

I got a call from Di on Saturday after her husband arrived, calling me "Mrs. Secret Keeper", and I could hear her grin through the phone. I giggled and asked her what she thought. You can see her obvious joy in this photograph.

Here's where the real story begins. I found myself going around the house all morning as I waited for Di's call, thinking about what she might call this little girl. The first name that occurred to me was "Grace". I dismissed it because, well...Mom Grace, plus her best friend's granddaughter's name is "Gracelyn". No. she wouldn't go for that, but in spite of the fact that I have an entire list of "Corgi" names, nothing else occurred to me.

Well, I asked Di what she decided to name the puppy and without hesitation she responded, "Grace. Saving Grace, because she's saved me from my sadness over losing Dad's dog." I started to cry, and when she asked what was wrong, I told her about the only name that had been swirling around in my head for the past five or six hours. I told her we were more connected than simple genetics. Our connection is much deeper and more spiritual. Her reply was a simple, "I've known that for many years, Donna." I well up with tears again just recounting this exchange for you.

So, my friends, meet "Saving Grace" aka "Grace". I'm going to the campsite to spend a week with Di in July, so I'll get to meet this little girl. You know how she'll weasel her way into my heart, right? Another Corgi in the family, who tilts her head just like Tag did...sigh...and her ears are nearly as big! I can't wait!

Welcome to the family, Grace. We love you already.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, Grace is beautiful!
    I'm glad you kept the secret for her.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn:
      It was easy knowing how much she was going to love her surprise. It was difficult because I speak with her multiple times a day, but in the end, we pulled it off. It was wonderful.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. awwwwwwww (add lots more w's to that one!), Grace is absolutely adorable and I love the story of how she got her name. I'm an 'only' so I don't have that bond of sisterhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA:
      She really is a pretty pup and is fitting right in with her new family. I'm looking forward to meeting her next month. I was blessed with three sisters and two brothers. Although when we were all younger, an only child might have sounded good from time to time. I'm really glad to have them, and miss my sister, Lyn terribly now that she's gone. It helps knowing I'll see her again someday.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. So cute! Your sister looks like she is over the moon! Andrea Hickman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea:
      She really is. She sends me new photos every day, and sometimes there's a video in the mix. I can't wait to meet her in person.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Hooray! A round of corgis for everyone! They are truly joyful companions. Best wishes to Di and Grace. I love rescue stories. It always seems the pet and the person were meant for each other. - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy:
      I second your motion! I really do like them, and really miss Tag's huge presence in my life. Di and Grace are already best buds, and it will only get better from here.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherry of createology: Little Grace is just adogable. She looks like she will love Di as much as Di will love here. And Hubby looks pretty happy also. Your connection with Di is extra special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry:
      I have to agree with you on all counts. Her husband was quite chuffed to pull off such a wonderful surprise for her. You're right. Di and I have a special sisterhood connection.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  6. Happy tears here, for a great rescue and your extra special connection with your sister.
    Grace is beautiful and that first photo just shows her personality overload.
    And those ears!!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley:
      Di read this post this afternoon, and she told me she cried, too. sniffles all around! Grace is a beauty, for sure, and I imagine that Tag would have been truly smitten had he met her. They would have had ears in common, for sure!
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete
  7. Oh Donna, you made me cry while I was reading this!! I am so happy that Grace has a new home and your sister has a new saving grace!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherri:
      You're so sweet, my friend. I got all misty writing it. I'm so happy for my sister. She was terribly sad when our dad's dog died, and just as Tag healed me from losing Fezzik, Grace will fill Di's heart with new memories while protecting her wonderful memories of Titus. She sent me photos all last week, so I can share this little dog with her, long-distance. I still miss my lowrider boy, so I love her updates of this little dog. Grace has landed in a perfect place, and I'm so happy for my sister.
      xoxo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna